Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 14-cf0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently upgraded from an older Notebook laptop because of WiFi issues, and the need for a more powerful laptop. I got my new laptop just over a month ago, and I haven't had any problems with the internal speakers, however, when I went to play music through my headphones, I had no bass. I tried multiple pairs of headphones and multiple ways of playing the music, with no luck. I never had this issue on my older laptop, and I know it's not the headphones themselves because they worked fine when I tried using them on my Phone. I don't know how to fix this and I'd like to be able to listen to music through my laptop enjoyably. Can someone please help?
(also if anyone knows how to change display names I need a bit of help with that too because I messed up when I created my account and I can't change it)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Nobodyyounowkno,

Were there any recent windows update on the PC?

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below.

Turn Off Audio Enhancements in Windows 10

In the taskbar search, type ‘Sound’ and select Sound Control Panel item from the list of results.
The Sound properties box will open. Under the Playback tab, right-click the Default Device – Speakers/Headphones and select Properties.

In the Speakers Properties box which opens, switch to the Enhancements tab, select the Disable all enhancements check box.

Now try to play your audio device. Does it work?

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High definition Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
In the Model box, highlight Realtek Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead of Realtek High definition Audio.
At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Is the loudness equalization off? If not, please:
Right, click the speaker icon
select 'Playback Devices'. 
Highlight the default device
Click Properties
Click Enhancements tab
Next to 'Loudness Equalization' take out the check mark in the box.
Click Apply
Click OK

Lastly, uninstall the audio driver from the device manager and update the driver and BIOS using the HP support assistant.

You can update drivers on the PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Let me know if this helps!
Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Nobodyyounowkno,

Were there any recent windows update on the PC?

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below.

Turn Off Audio Enhancements in Windows 10

In the taskbar search, type ‘Sound’ and select Sound Control Panel item from the list of results.
The Sound properties box will open. Under the Playback tab, right-click the Default Device – Speakers/Headphones and select Properties.

In the Speakers Properties box which opens, switch to the Enhancements tab, select the Disable all enhancements check box.

Now try to play your audio device. Does it work?

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Go to Windows Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers section.
In the list of audio device drivers, look for Realtek High definition Audio. This is the device driver for BeatsAudio (a little bit sneaky, wouldn’t you say?).
Right-click and select Disable. The downward arrow displays on this driver, indicating it is disabled. (NOTE: At this point, you won’t be able to play any music files.)
Right-click and select Update Driver Software.
Select Browse my computer for driver software.
Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
You should see a window that says Select the device driver you want to install for this hardware. NOTE: If you see a window that says something like This is the best driver for this device, exit the window and repeat steps 4, 5, and 6.
In the Model box, highlight Realtek Audio Device (this is the substitute audio device driver) and click Next.
At the Update Driver Warning window, click Yes. You should see a confirmation window with High Definition Audio Device displayed. Click Close.
In the list of audio device drivers in the Sound, video and game controllers section, you’ll notice that the High Definition Audio Device now displays instead of Realtek High definition Audio.
At the prompt to reboot, click Yes.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

Is the loudness equalization off? If not, please:
Right, click the speaker icon
select 'Playback Devices'. 
Highlight the default device
Click Properties
Click Enhancements tab
Next to 'Loudness Equalization' take out the check mark in the box.
Click Apply
Click OK

Lastly, uninstall the audio driver from the device manager and update the driver and BIOS using the HP support assistant.

You can update drivers on the PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Let me know if this helps!
Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There was a recent update, about two or three weeks ago. Updating the driver to the High Definition Audio Device fixed the issue. Thank you for helping

HP Recommended

@Nobodyyounowknow,

You're welcome and if you have any queries related to HP again. Please write back to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Have a pleasant day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

will this be the same method with different hp pavillion models ( mine is 15-cw1500sa) . ? i am on the device manager screen and ready to uninstall the Realtek bit, but want to check before i proceed! thanks

HP Recommended

@Timmmaddocks
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

To get the answer to this question, Yes it's the same Realtek driver you need to uninstall. 

• What is the exact issue with the Audio? 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Why do I keep having to disable, uninstall and reinstall this driver? This method has been working, but about once a week a have to do it again. I am producing music on this machine and it's really starting to become an issue. I have had this problem since the day I bought this laptop. Model 15z-cw100. I'm wondering why it shipped with the wrong driver installed and keeps reverting. I'm about ready to just return it. 

HP Recommended

@RedeyeSPR

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.