Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy x360 Convertible 15-ed0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new laptop does not have a device listed/driver for the internal microphone. All updates complete. All Virtual Agent suggestions assume there is an internal device listed in Sound>Recording... how can I install the internal device?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@kaeli_d

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• Step 1: Check the microphone hardware (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 
  • Step 2: Update the audio driver
  • Step 3: Use the Troubleshooting tool
  • Step 4: Configure the sound settings in Windows
  • Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813 to complete the troubleshooting step.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

How do I complete Step 1 when the hardware in question is the inbuilt microphone?

HP Recommended

@kaeli_d

Thank you for posting back.

Let's perform Microsoft System Restore which will returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

You can also undo a System Restore if the restore does not resolve the issue or if the issue becomes worse.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The restore points available do not include a full system reset - none of these are "events" prior to which the microphone worked. How will this help?

HP Recommended

@kaeli_d

Not to worry, I've got a few more steps to isolate the issue. 

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Please click “

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes thank you I have already completed all updates and searchable fixes before posting to this site.

Within HP Support Assistant, the Fix Audio Issues shows that the issue is that the microphone hardware is unplugged. Again, I do not see how that is possible when referring to the INTERNAL microphone.

HP Recommended

@kaeli_d

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows)You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Please click “

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had this problem for a while, it isn't well know that the mic is actually controlled by the graphics driver. If you follow the steps in the link below it may solve your issue, it did for me.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Audio-driver-issues-envy-15m-ee0013dx/m-p/7790082/highl...

The file for the driver should be sp105744.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks this might be the ticket - the June 24 driver you mention isn't in the list though (Mar 1, Mar 13, July 13, July 13 only) Do you have a direct link to the driver or hints on how to find it?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.