Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 15-ey0647nz

Unfortunately the HP ENVY x360 15-ey0xxx laptops are not fully compatible with Linux (Fedora 36, Kernel 5.19.7, latest firmware). At least right now, there is no sound from the internal speakers. However, the headphone output is working perfectly.

This means that the sound card is working as it should. But there seems to be a problem with the configuration for the integrated Cirrus Logic audio amplifier. This is documented well in the following thread:[Content Removed]

The only solution will be, that HP corrects the BIOS/Firmware ACPI DSDT information/properties.

65 REPLIES 65
HP Recommended

Same problem with HP Envy 16-h0xxxx (August 2022)  😞  Kubuntu 22.10, kernel 5.19

I hope HP fix this soon. Of all six HP laptops I bought in the past 18 years, this is the first laptop where the built-in speakers don't work in Linux.

Maarten

HP Recommended

Is there someone from HP to tell us if HP plans to fix this issue. I have a HP Envy x360 laptop. Perfect design features but I am not going to use it with windows. If no possible fix for this will be presented soo I'll move after 13 years to different brand.

Thanks 

HP Recommended

The problem is the ALC245 sound hardware isn't supported in the current kernel (I'm on 6.0.8).  I've got bugs open with the kernel bugzilla and Ubuntu's, but there's no movement on them.

There is a workaround however.  Boot into Windows then reboot into Linux and you'll have sound until you shut down.  Annoying yes, but it works.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with a recently purchased 15-ew0776. It's a great laptop with the exception that the speakers don't work under Linux. This model also has the Realtek ALC245 codec alongside with Cirrus Logic amplifiers. I also hope for a solution as I would like to stick with HP but consider moving to another brand. Can anyone from HP reply to this?

HP Recommended

I made some progress following the last entry on https://superuser.com/questions/1719920/no-sound-from-internal-speakers-on-laptop-but-headphone-jack...

That is, I created a DKMS module overriding the original kernel module named snd-hda-scodec-cs35l41. It is responsible for addressing the Cirrus Logic CSC3551 smart amplifier chipset built into the HP 15-ew0xxx model. Please not that this module is only available from Linux 6.x kernel onwards, according to my research. I did my tests on a 6.1-rc5 kernel.

The actual fix is to take the code snippet from the post above, but it needs to be modified as follows:

} else if (strncmp(hid, "CSC3551", 7) == 0) {
     hw_cfg->bst_type = CS35L41_EXT_BOOST;
     hw_cfg->gpio1.func = CS35l41_VSPK_SWITCH;
     hw_cfg->gpio1.valid = true;
 } else {

Do NOT apply the fix mentioned earlier in this post - it was counter-productive in my case.

Applying the fix above, when I execute ...

sudo dmesg | grep cs35l41-hda

... I get the following intermediate success messages:

cs35l41-hda i2c-CSC3551:00-cs35l41-hda.0: Cirrus Logic CS35L41 (35a40), Revision: B2
cs35l41-hda i2c-CSC3551:00-cs35l41-hda.1: Reset line busy, assuming shared reset
cs35l41-hda i2c-CSC3551:00-cs35l41-hda.1: Cirrus Logic CS35L41 (35a40), Revision: B2

What is still needed, is a fix for the kernel module snd-hda-intel. Once I am finished with this work, I will let you know.

HP Recommended

Hi,

That sounds awesome. I have ENVY x360 15-ew0900nc laptop and I hope this patch will work with it.  I also hope that fix will be included ASAP in new kernel release. Did u try to install new Ubuntu 22.10 some uses say that sound work fine (probably due to replacing pulse audio with pipewire)?

One more thank for your work, and i hope that HP will hire you to keep their laptops work well with linux ;D .

HP Recommended

Hi Maccaron, yes I tried Ubuntu 22.10, but to no avail. I also tried a 6.0.x kernel, but the only kernel version that seems to work as a basis for the patch is 6.1.x. Unfortunately, there is no Ubuntu mainline kernel available yet with this version. As soon as I have news, I will post them here.

HP Recommended

Hi, I installed Manjaro 22.0 on December 25 on an ENVY x360 15-ey0006nl

Kernel is 6.1.1-1-MANJARO

Now Bluetooth works (it didn't use to work on my previous tests), but audio is still not working on pipewire. 

HP Recommended

Just tried to compile kernel 6.2RC on Manjaro, same results. Sound is still not working.

Hope this could help someone, me included 😄

Cheers,

Michael

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.