Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have similar problem with HP ENVY 17. Everything working but not speakers. I am able to build own kernel from source, but it seems that patch for HP envy 15 does not works for me. I tried to add same line but with my product code.

I using Ubuntu 23.04, kernel version 6.4.3-060403-generic

pavel@pavel-HP-ENVY:~$ sudo dmidecode | less | grep "Product Name"
Product Name: HP ENVY Laptop 17-cr0xxx
Product Name: 8A2E

Does anybody know what to change or where to find some info?

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your work. I have created a fork of your repository where I have modified the installation adapting it to the Fedora distribution. I have tested it with Fedora 38 and kernel 6.4.4 and it works perfectly.

The repository with the adaptation for Fedora is located at https://github.com/Arkanus72/hp-15-ew0xxx-snd-fix

HP Recommended

Hi there, I made some humble progress submitting the patch to the mainline kernel developers. Please note the following warning regarding the patch contained in setup_snd-hda-scodec-cs35l41.sh:

Thanks for the patch, but note that this change can't be taken.
It's dangerous and may burn speakers on other machines that don't use
this configuration.

For now, those info relies on the BIOS ACPI setup with _DSD entry, and
vendors should fix it with BIOS updates.

There have been already discussions how to deal with vendors who don't
cooperate well.

To date, no report of damaged hardware has reached me so far whatsoever. But I share the opinion that there is a potential risk - which is why my repository https://github.com/xoocoon/hp-15-ew0xxx-snd-fix contained a warning right from the start. Good news is that the developers from Cirrus Logic are involved now, so there is some hope for progress without the help from HP.

A personal note to HP staff: The last line in the reply above refers to HP in this case, obviously. While I accept that it may be part of HP's corporate strategy to not support Linux, not doing so could damage your public image among Open Source developers and users. Actually, the request from our side is not even to support Linux, but to provide proper entries in the machines' BIOS/UEFI ACPI entries and to not circumvent this shortcoming by proprietary Windows-only drivers. I deem it possible to provide such an update as a BIOS/UEFI firmware update.

HP Recommended

Can someone for HP staff give an update on this please

official case logged: 5110407244

HP Recommended

HP doesn't care about Linux support for consumer products. The answer you will get from hp is "Please use a supported OS(windows 11)". The speakers are trash on this model anyway, you arent missing much.

HP Recommended

But it is nice to have them. 😂

HP Recommended

I agreed with you before i got path working and lived with them for about a week. They are awful. Like you have to hold the laptop next to your face to hear them. I had to set the volume to 150% to even notice they were on with the computer on a desk in front of me. I don't even bother with the patch, will just buy another laptop, but test the speakers in-person first... I even installed win 11 on a USB to see if the correct sound drivers helped. Nope. just trash.

HP Recommended

Tried this myself with modifying 6.4.11 kernel source on a HP Envy 17-cr0001na (same subsystem ID) and it works, however I'm getting crackling out of right speaker and the mute/unmute LEDs don't work for mic and speakers,  The crackling might be warning of the issue in Waldfree's reply from the kernel developers:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/No-sound-from-internal-speakers-using-Linux/m-p/8818694...

Also not sure whether Waldfree's patch isolates only to HP models using that amplifier, looks like it is matching the model name of the amplifier for one part.

HP Recommended

hello, i am using a hp envy x360 also with B&O speakers on arch linux and also have zero sound from my internal speakers, I am not familiar with how to patch my kernel, i am looking for any help that can prevent me from dual booting as well. thank you al for the help.

arch user 

HP Recommended

Hello waldfee,

First of all, thank you for your support. I successfully installed your patch and have sound on my new "HP Envy x360 2-in-1 Laptop 15-fe0xxx" but only on Ubuntu 23.04 fresh install with kernel 6.2.0-20-generic (default). If I upgrade the kernel, and run the patch again, it fail.

On the other hand, Secured boot have to be enabled, if I disable it, I loose the sound (until I enable it).

Furthermore, I have sound on both speakers but only from left channel.

My questions are:

1. If there is a way to have sound without secure boot?
2. How can I do to have both channels left and right?
3. Do you know why I cant patch again a new kernel?

Thanks for your time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.