Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 15 cc123cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, so my hp pavilion Pavilion 15 cc123cl has just spent a month and a few days with me and one morning I started hearing a “bur” sound from the right speaker (B&O) when I play a sound. The left speaker (B&O) however was playing just fine but the right continued making that sound at intervals consistently while any sound was on play. All of a sudden the sound stopped and no sound at all was coming from the right speaker. So as it stands it’s just my left speaker that is working. Kindly help out as soon as possible. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BigMyq,

Thank you for posting on HP Support Forums!

I see from your post that you're having issues with the sound not coming from the right speakers on your HP notebook. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you tried to connect an headphone and check if you're having the same issue while using the headphones.

Have you tried to run a test on the Audio from F2? This is to check if it's a hardware or software related issue.

If the test passes, I would suggest you try to update the drivers either using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant.

Have you tried to update the Bios on your PC? Most of the times updating the Bios help in resolving issues. 

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

I would suggest you could try to run the test on the audio from F2 (Please remember to capture the failure ID for further assistance).

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Audio - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. Click Audio, then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

If the test passes, as mentioned this could be a software or driver related issue. Let's try these steps here: 

I would suggest here is to Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform a Windows update:

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 

2) Check for updates. 

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the audio drivers from device manager: 

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers.

Then check the box delete the software for this device.

Now restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and Audio drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

For more additional information, Please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Notebook PCs - No Sound from Speakers (Windows 10)

Hope this answers your question.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help. Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet, Many thanks for your response.

I have tried a number of things you said. First, the test from F2 after rebooting. It passed the test. But I clearly didn’t hear any sound from the right speaker still.

I tried using earphones as you advised and both ears of the earphones worked perfectly.

I tried updating the driver and it said the current driver is the latest. I still went on to perform windows update but about three windows updates failed due to poor network. Those updates where security issues with Microsoft apps I guess. 

I will love firther clarification cuz no sound still comes out from my right speaker. Wen  did an audio test from my audio icon, a click on the left speaker triggers a clear sound but when I click on the right, I could almost hear a very faint sound coming out from the left speaker (not even the right speaker). 

I look forward to receiving a solution soon. 

Sent from my iPhone

HP Recommended

@BigMyq,

As I understand you have diagnose the issue, and found that while running the test there is no sound coming from the right speakers. 

This could definitely indicate a possible hardware failure with the notebook. I would recommend you contact our HP support team for further assistance.

HP support team can be reached on www.hp.com/contacthp

I'm sure they should be able to go ahead and address your issue. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

I'll be more than happy to help you.

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.