Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-4172na (ENERGY STAR)

Hi everone, first-time HP user here, was gifted a HP Spectre x360 Convertible someone was no longer using. I would like to replace my ancient Samsung with it, but I've hit a snag...

The audio driver has truly dismal audio quality when played through an external amplifier and speakers, as I like to do (using Spotify).  My Samsung notebook has a Realtek HD Audio driver, which sounds terrific played through my Jamo system (I use the stereo setting). Not so much the HP Spectre x360 Convertible - the sound is un-listenable. Sounds like it's two rooms away, not just low volume, but muddy base and zero treble.

I've tried downloading and installing Realtek HD Audio driver, but the PC doesn't see it. The current driver is a Conexant ISST Audio. I've tried downloading a Conexant HD Audio driver, but during install the wizard aborts, citing incompatability. I've since read that Conexant went belly-up ten years ago, so they are obviously not updating any drivers. I also read the Realtek drivers cannot be installed on Conexant cards.

What are my options to get decent sound out of this supposedly high-end notebook?

Thanks in advance, Paddy.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi there!

The driver to use depends on the manufacturer of the audio hardware. So it is not possible to use a Realtek driver with a Conexant device.

I recommend you search for a compatible driver for your laptop in HP's Software & Drivers section - using your Product ID or model.

Do you use Windows 11? I see there are only drivers for Windows 10 in the Drivers section of your model...

If so, maybe you can find a driver via Windows Update?

I recently had a similar problem with my HP ProBook 430 G6 (with Realtek Audio hardware). After updating to the newest Version 22H2 of Win10, I noticed a significant drop in the audio volume. Installing the newest Realtek driver off HP's Driver section did not solve the problem.

My guess is that there is a compatibility issue with the Audio Software provided by HP (HP Audio Control etc.) and the newest version of Windows. As far as I can tell, the driver itself works fine.

I did the following to solve the problem:

1. Uninstall HP Audio software (i.e. HP Audio Control or similar like B&O Audio etc.)

2. Uninstall current Audio driver in Device Manager of Windows. Also make sure to tick the Option to 'Remove driver software' in the process to do a complete uninstall.

Restart laptop

3. Download and install compatible current driver off HP's Drivers section

4. If problem persists, repeat steps 1 & 2. After that, install the driver manually in Device Manager. To do that, right-cklick on the device in Device Manager. Select 'install' or 'update' driver. Choose to manually browse for the driver and find the temporary path of the previous HP driver installation which is located in C.\SWSetup\SP####. Let Windows look for the driver in this folder. If asked, refuse to install additional software, choose to install driver only.

Note that with this method you can not use the features like Equalizer or specific audio options that the HP Audio Control software provides.

But there are plenty of third party audio optimization tools available online, so it was no biggie for me. I rather have decent volume & working driver than proprietary audio configuration.

Let me know if this did help you. Thanks.

Peace, jd1024

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.