Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: HP ENVY x360 Convertible 13-ay0xxx
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi all,

I bought an HP ENVY x360 Convertible 13 about 3 months ago. About a month and a half ago, I heard faint scratching noises coming from the device. The scratch sounds have no specific patterns or intensity as they occur for random lengths of time at random instances. Sometimes the noises occur only once a day and then do not happen for a few days, in other cases, they occur multiple times in a span of an hour. The only thing that I can definitively say is that the scratching sounds come from the speakers regardless of if some audio is playing or not. It does not hinder the regular audio and is often quite faint. But when occurring consecutively, the noises become increasingly loud. 

Here is a 10-second audio clip of the scratching noises: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NLtj-lQwzkpO2_ha5_dx61dhlnjn7kGy/view?usp=sharing

I have tried changing the playback devices, using alternate audio outputs, and reinstalling audio drivers, but nothing seems to work. Upgrading to Windows 11 did not change anything either. I will be tweaking the audio settings a bit more but until then, I am suspecting it is a hardware issue. However, other posts in the forum show that it could still be a software issue. How should I troubleshoot this? My warranty is still active, should I send the device for repairs? 

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Rai_666

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

As I understand there's random scratching noises with or without playing audio from your device.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you attempted to update the BIOS?

Does this issue appear on an headphone or external speaker as well?

(Please check with the same and let me know)

While you respond to that, I have a few recommendations: 

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS 

• I can suggest trying to restore a computer back to the factory default, which will isolate whether it’s a software or hardware issue. 

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Click here for the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10) link https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c06162205

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@Rai_666

Welcome to the HP Support Community! I'd like to help!

Any changes after the Bios update or the HP Cloud Recovery? 

Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click on the YES button to reply that the response was helpful and/or to say “Thank You”.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.