Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ce0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I'm kind of in need of some help in here. Kind of new to these forums, so hopefully I won't mess up things too terribly. 

Anyways, here's the problem I'm facing, which, when I go into great detail, I don't even know if I'm in the right place, if not, hopefully someone can give me some pointers. With that out of the way.

My HP Pavilion Laptop 14-ce0xxx by factory, comes with realTech audio, which, for most people, I'm sure, is just fine. But not for me.

So, like on at least 15 or so other laptops before, (that includes helping out others who had similar issues) primarily on Lenovos, Dell's, though I have a Surface myself, and on all those things, one can simply go device mmanager, expand the sound and gaming controlers, right click realTech, click update, click browse computer,  (on some systems you have to uncheck show compatible devices, and if you do that, you then scroll down to microsoft in the list) and pick high definition audio from  the list. You then reboot for the changes to take affect, and you now have a lovely sounding audio system, with customisability, (basic, but it's there) and no enhancements. 

This, on the HP, was a total failure. After you do the above mentioned, you lose speakers, but headphones continue working. So next, figured it might be to do with the factory image that HP distributes, so, created a secondary partition, did a clean install of 1809 on the secondary partition, and there we were, using high efinition loud and proud. Until... I check for updates! RealTech comes  back, and doing the above mentioned replacement steps to nuke out realTech fails on that partition as well. Disabling driver updates in control panel advanced system settings, under the hardware tab makes no difference, by the way. 

In short, I now know that it is caused by some sort of a driver conflict somewhere. The question is, where? That's what I can't figure out. 

I tried denying all permissions from realTech, which would have worked, except that majorly messed me up to the point where it said I had no audio device installed instead of the speaker icon...

I tried replacing the intel sound controler with high definition audio controler, still accomplishing the same results. removing realTech from programs features on the factory partition gets nowhere either. At this point, I'm leading it towards being something on the intel side of things, but I can use high definition on another kaby lake device just fine. So I guess the question is, does anyone know how to get high definition microsoft audio drivers to work on this thing, or can anyone at least point out the driver which is conflicting with it in question? Even if I know at least the driver that causes it, I could fiddle around, and find a way to get it to work, but windows 10 has taken the ability to uninstall drivers, so uninstalling individually won't exactly work... Even though I can see the 24 drivers in the update history, when I click uninstall updates, I can't uninstall those driver updates in any shape or form. And device manager, well for all I know it may not even be in device manager, many of those Intels are just titled Intel system, so you don't exactly know what they contain, at least it's not obvious. 

As for why I want realTech gone, it's primarily lack of options I can get in  high definition, artificial sounding audio, and enhancements that lower volumes of things it feels the need to. I have another issue, where upon plugging in headphones, the unit feels the need to automatically switch microphones over to the headphones, but I suspect  I could fix that one via the HP audio switch. 

Thanks for any pointers anyone may have.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@braille0109 

Please do a clean install Audio software/driver, this should help.

(a) Download the following driver and save on your computer,

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp92501-93000/sp92941.exe

(b) Go to Device Manager, Sound to uninstall sound driver (Realtek) and reboot,
(c) Right click downloaded file and select Run as administrator,
(d) Reboot again.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,

First things first, thanks so much for your suggestion. I just performed that. However, that just gave me a more updated realTech driver. It's still realTech, and not the generic Microsoft, it still suffers from all the realTech issues that the previous one did. Any other ideas, please? Preferably a way to get the Microsoft drivers to work. As mentioned in my previous post, this HP is the first device that just doesn't want the truth. I did try reverting to Microsoft drivers after the clean install of this realTech, but unfortunately the same issue persists. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.