Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 2in1 Convertable 11in
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My skype sounds like a robot any time I use it. I have tried donloading it from the website, using the skype video app already on my computer and it still doesnt work. Everything else auditory works fine, video, music, etc. But anytime I try to skype it sounds like a robot is talking, lags and is very annoying. I know others are having this problem too but I can't find a solution. I know internet connection is usually the problem but I have tried it right next to the router and it still doesn't work. I then use the app on my phone and it works fine but its really frustrating to have to do that when I just bought this computer not even a month ago. Please help!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The Skype community would seem to be the best place to see if others have found a solution for that.

https://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/bd-p/Windows

Skype voice audio issues

https://www.google.nl/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=skype%20voice%20sounds%2...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I came across this post looking for a solution yesterday and thought I'd post my findings.

The HP in my case was a rather under-powered (Pentium twin-core) all-in-one which was struggling to perform some functions in its HP delivered configuration.   I was working on it remotely (which has a 12% CPU overhead) but noticed that CPU hit 100% with the process/service "Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation" taking all the CPU it could get.

This turns out to be a fault caused by "HP DTS Sound" which is activated by default.  It has "enhanced effects" or something similar - you can reach this by looking for "DTS Sound" on your start menu (it was in windows 10 standard build as shipped by HP).  This is a program which is trying to run the audio through an equaliser (adjusting bass, treble, etc.) and ended up hammering the CPU - the robotic sound is the audio being chopped up into small segments and played chunk-by-chunk (very quickly) sounding slower and robotic in nature.

1.  Go into the manu item "DTS Audio"

1.  turn off "Audio Enhancements" (it's a tickbox on the main screen)
  2.  try skype audio again (use the test call as it will be an accurate test)

Despite what many forums, etc. say this is NOT network related - it's purely a bad setting in the bundled software and a processor unable to cope with how it is configured.  Searching Skype forums, etc. will not yield this result;  you will see reference to turning off audio enhancements through control panel entries but the "DTS Audio" program doesn't work that way so it's not accessible.

Given these problems and the ubiquity of Skype I would ask HP to either remove the “DTS Audio” component or revise how it’s configured – I found page after page of people suffering the same problems with various laptops, all-in-one systems, etc. so this is not an isolated problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks Daocc.  I just got this HP (HP 14 STream), and while i don't expect a powerhouse, I did think I could run Skype and a web browser at the same time, but was having to shut down everything except Skype to get any sort of proper sound--it was affecting the mic and the speakers.

I listen to internet radio with no quality problems, so I know the audio hardware works.

Going to try your suggestion now, think you're right that the problem is on the HP end.

HP Recommended

Wow that worked brilliantly! I had tried everything I could think of, and every other suggestion I could find, to fix the same problem on a HP Stream 11-r008tu. These ranged from upgrading drivers (difficult due to low disk space), using headphones, playing around with speaker settings, upgrading Skype.

I turned off "Audio Enhancements" in DTS Audio and the problem was fixed. Many thanks.

One note: I found the tickbox on one of the other screens in DTS Audio (Audio settings?) rather than the main screen.

HP Recommended

Just something of note - I only infrequently see this machine (it's my step-sister's machine and I look after it remotely).  I did note that after removing the setting it as back on - seems to have followed an automated HP update.

If the problem returns then this was necessary again;  I also had to disable the service (can't remember the specifics but it was named for the audio card itself).  This didn't affect soudn production but did stop the problem from recurring.

Given HP's aggressive update schedule on the device drivers - and their apparent decision to continue with the manufacturer's default settings despite the fact the hardware can't handle it - you may find this returning and having to remove the setting again, perhaps every few months (that seems to be their update frequency to date).

HP Recommended

thank you thank you thank you , your fix worked!!  I have been unable to use skype for a year! and finally decided to google my question and came across this fix. yeyeye now I can call my sister in Italy again. yippie

HP Recommended

Model: HP 15-ba010au

You saved my day bro. I had the same issue. I tied reinstalling skype, changing speakers and mics, even stopped windows automatic updates but nothing has changed.  Everything works perfect except skype. Then I started searching in the internet and I found your answer. Just removed "Audio Enhanscements" and wallah! Thanks a lot bro.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.