Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion i5-cb7265NGW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer cannot identify my earphone. Every time I plug in my earphone, both computer and earphone play the music.  I have uninstialled the sound card driver and  reinstalled the one downloaded from the HP website, but still didn't work. Maybe I need to fine the local support, could you please help for that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @sqliko,

Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you. 🙂 I reviewed the post regarding assistance with audio issues. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂 Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a recent Software or Windows update?
  • Did you run diagnostics on the sound card to eliminate hardware issues?
  • Did you check with a different headset?
  • Please do not share the serial number of the computer. Please remove it as it is confidential information. 
  • Let me know the complete model# of the computer instead.

For now please try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Then check if the situation has been corrected.
  • Try with another headset also

If it the problem continues, try these steps:

Check the 'Disable front panel jack detection' option:

1. Double-click on the Realtek HD Audio manager system tray icon
  2. Click on small folder icon 
  3. Check that the 'Disable front panel jack detection' tick box is unticked.
  4. Now insert the jack plug of either a microphone or headphones into the corresponding front panel socket of your computer.
  5. If you now see the message 'Information: A jack has been plugged in', then you do not need to change this setting as your system has an HDA compatible front panel.
  6. If you do not see this message, then click on the small folder icon again and tick the 'Disable front panel jack detection' check box.

Then check if the issue gets fixed.

If it continues please try these steps:

• Windows Audio is a Windows service that manages audio for Windows-based programs. If at all this service is stopped due to any reason, audio devices will not function properly.
    To fix audio services, open the run command and launch services.msc.
  • In the services window search for Windows Audio and right-click on it to select Start to start the audio service.
  • And ensure the Startup Type is set to Automatic.
  • Click Apply and OK.

Restart the computer and check if it works.

For further assistance please follow the relevant steps that best match your issue from this link: http://hp.care/2xSAkeK for resolving audio related issues.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @sqliko,

Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you. 🙂 I reviewed the post regarding assistance with audio issues. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂 Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a recent Software or Windows update?
  • Did you run diagnostics on the sound card to eliminate hardware issues?
  • Did you check with a different headset?
  • Please do not share the serial number of the computer. Please remove it as it is confidential information. 
  • Let me know the complete model# of the computer instead.

For now please try these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers. Then check the box delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios, chipset and audio drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions.
  • Then check if the situation has been corrected.
  • Try with another headset also

If it the problem continues, try these steps:

Check the 'Disable front panel jack detection' option:

1. Double-click on the Realtek HD Audio manager system tray icon
  2. Click on small folder icon 
  3. Check that the 'Disable front panel jack detection' tick box is unticked.
  4. Now insert the jack plug of either a microphone or headphones into the corresponding front panel socket of your computer.
  5. If you now see the message 'Information: A jack has been plugged in', then you do not need to change this setting as your system has an HDA compatible front panel.
  6. If you do not see this message, then click on the small folder icon again and tick the 'Disable front panel jack detection' check box.

Then check if the issue gets fixed.

If it continues please try these steps:

• Windows Audio is a Windows service that manages audio for Windows-based programs. If at all this service is stopped due to any reason, audio devices will not function properly.
    To fix audio services, open the run command and launch services.msc.
  • In the services window search for Windows Audio and right-click on it to select Start to start the audio service.
  • And ensure the Startup Type is set to Automatic.
  • Click Apply and OK.

Restart the computer and check if it works.

For further assistance please follow the relevant steps that best match your issue from this link: http://hp.care/2xSAkeK for resolving audio related issues.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a terrific week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It worked!!!!!  But how did that work? I did exactly what you told me and updated the chipset, bios and also the audio driver again.  But why it didn't work if  I only reinstalled my audio  driver ? That's  strange . Anyway, THANKS A LOT!!!! Really!!!  I mean that!!!

HP Recommended

Hi @sqliko,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.