Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have an Hp Envy DV7 with windows 8 installed on it. Just a couple days ago i updated my computer i'm not totally sure if it updated IDT audio or what but i noticed i would listen to a song then choose a different song a few seconds later and the sound was gone. I would have to restart my laptop everytime if i want the sound back again but it eventually goes away again after 10 minutes. Iv'e checked out the forum and i dont think this happens due to heat since i started it up when it was shutdown all night and the sound still stopped working. Iv'e also tried rolling back the driver and also updating the driver but no luck. Any help will be appreciated. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Sounds like the same problem I am having.  I changed my idle time settings but not sure if that fixed things.  My audio was working real good for several hours today before cutting off.

HP Recommended

I just ended up doing a full system restore and its been about 15 minutes and no problems. i would suggest you try the same thing... make sure your anti virus is completely off cuz i did it the first time and it wasn't able to complete the restrore.

HP Recommended

I'll try the restore again with anti virus this time.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

wondering if you still have the problem?  

HP Recommended

no but i did some research and found out that a recent update for windows that i installed caused the problem for me. If restoring didn't work for you try rolling back to the previous driver.. heres a link to the forum where i read about the problem.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_update/sound-problems-in-windows-...

HP Recommended
Re: HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC - Audio's not working!
‎06-24-2014 03:50 AM

Removed optional update KB2962407. It takes a while to process, don’t turn off PC!

My problem with Envy dv6 Notebook PC Model C2Y54AV, Win 8, has been corrected.

1 day and counting…

DID NOT have to reset computer and lose all my programs, A MAJOR PAIN!!!!!

Problem was =

‎I am forced to turn my laptop off and back on to get the audio to work, which is quite annoying. 
Headsets don't even work and when I change the audio down to 0% and back up to 100%, it always displays 3 bars on the audio (Like nothing's changed) 

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

I understand you are all experiencing your computer audio not working, likely due to a Windows Update. I created a troubleshooting guide on how to resolve the issue: Audio does not Work after a Certain Period of Time

Please provide your results and feedback. Thanks!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I have tried so many different things from this page and others  for months, and finally found one that worked on my Windows 10 HP!  Go to the Control Panel, Systems and Security, Power Options, and then Change When the Computer Sleeps.  Under "when the computer is plugged in,"  leave the time to turn off the display as whatever it is, but change the time before the computer goes to sleep to "Never."  Then restart.  Apparently the problem is that after whatever time was in there,  when the computer goes to sleep, some glitch prevents the sound from being woken up again without a restart. 

I'm assuming  the problem may still exist when running on battery, but you don't want to change that setting or your battery will run down when you're not using it.  Just make sure it's plugged in or turned off when you're not using it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.