Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 15z - cw100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, I got the HP Pavilion Laptop 15z - cw100 w/ a Ryzen 5 3500u chip and 16 gb of RAM as a graduation present delivered June 22nd. It ran perfectly out of the box, fast speeds, and a superbly loud set of speakers. I was very happy! However, on June 26, when I installed an update for Windows 10 my audio started acting up. When I would play audio, the audio would be fine, and then it would spontaneously quiet down. I thought at first that my drivers weren't working properly so I went on HP's website and installed the appropriate drivers for my laptop. It didn't work. I opened up the control panel and messed with the RealTek audio settings, unchecking and checking all of the boxes but it did not fix my problem. I also updated my BIOS, but it did not work. I even factory reset my laptop, thinking it would hopefully fix it, but it did not. My audio works completely fine when I plug in a pair of headphones, and I don't think there is anything wrong with the physical set of speakers because I have not moved this laptop anywhere from my desk. I am thinking of installing the Realtek audio drivers from Realtek's website but I'm hoping I can find some answers here. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No, that's an AMD driver issue. See: here or here (Here you should reinstall the graphics driver afterwards) .

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@JHMyint 

Please do a clean install Audio software/driver, this should help.

(a) Download the following driver and save on your computer,
              https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp100001-100500/sp100144.exe
(b) Go to Device Manager, Sound to uninstall sound driver (Realtek) and reboot,
(c) Right click downloaded file and select Run as administrator,
(d) Reboot again.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

HP PAVILION Laptop 15z-cw100. Tries the solution provide did not work at all. Good volume at the start then quiets down. 

After the first reboot the old drives are reinstalled.  Instaled the provided exe, then reboot again. No change.

HP Recommended

We have two of these laptops and it happened to BOTH of them today.  I saw there are several other people that submitted the same question and/or indicated that they had the same issue and they all happened today - 6/27/20.  There appears to be a bug with an update or something (I did not manually download an update).  Please provide us with a fix ASAP as it has caused some big problems (including with some meetings, etc. I was on today and I could not hear properly because the volume comes in and out suddenly and I was supposed to record the program for others).  When you click on the drivers it says they are working properly, even though the output is having issues.  It shows its up to 100 but the actual sound coming out when its quiet is around 15% of the bar's length.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver multiple times.  It doesn't fix the problem. 

HP Recommended

Same problem here since yesterday with my HP Pavilion - 15-cw1947nd.  It is definitely a Realtek driverissue. Installing an old driver kind of did the trick for me.  Please fix this problem HP.

HP Recommended

Just encountered the exact same issue but mine was paired with a complete loss on the Wireless driver. I knew it wasn't the router as we had another laptop connected on a video call. Luckily I had an ethernet cable available and was able to download and install a new wireless driver.

Haven't attempted to reinstall a new sound driver yet as others above have said it's been unsuccessful,

HP Recommended

No, that's an AMD driver issue. See: here or here (Here you should reinstall the graphics driver afterwards) .

HP Recommended

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/My-speakers-have-gone-very-quiet-even-at-full-volume-Th...

Try this link. Worked perfectly.  Many thanks for the link above Lachs.

HP Recommended

@FPaulK1 

Sorry, looked like due to AMD drivers issue. Hope you've found the fix now.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I have found the fix for this it turned out to be a Radeon update with the audio problem

Steps

* goto https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-601

* download AMD Cleanup Utility for Windows® 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 64-bit

* Follow run instructions

* Hit finish and select restart now

Worked like a charm audio is playing just fine again now.

Reposted from @wittledemon

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.