Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Touchsmart notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since the last Windows update, the sound on my laptop mutes itself. The sound will not stay on longer than a few seconds and it mutes. I've looked through the threads here and have done all the "fixes" suggested. None have worked. This happened before, and updating the sound drivers corrected the problem. Updating the sound drivers is not correcting it this time. I'm at a loss on how to fix this short of resetting the machine. And suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Considering what you have going on here and on your other posts, I would not fool with trying to run virus scans and fixes.

You will do well to consider reinstalling Windows 10 and have peace of mind.

You upgraded to Windows 10, so you can make a USB installer with the media creation tool for Win10 and install the latest version. It wont take long to reinstall the OS this way. You would wipe the drive and start fresh.

You would lose whatever is on the system now and if you installed other programs, they will have to be reinstalled.

Its up to you.

You can create the usb installer from any other computer onto an 8 GB (or up to 32 GB) usb pen drive.

Create media Windows 10

The insert the drive, press the power button to turn on the PC and rapidly tap the Esc key to bring up the options menu.

Choose F9 for Boot Device Options and then choose the USB drive.

Install Windows and follow the prompts.

The first time the computer restarts after the installation runs, pull the drive out so it wont try to start the process again at the beginning.

Windows will activate itself when its finished and connects to the internet for updates.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04730900

You can download and install the drivers for your system from here...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/

Let me know if I can help further.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your input. Yes, I know how to reinstall Windows. The laptop was upgraded to W10 over a year ago. These problems are recent. Reinstalling Windows is always a last resort option, but thank you again. 

HP Recommended

Sorry, I have no way of knowing what you know or your tech level. Most folks who come here are very much a novice.

Just offered to save time troubleshooting.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.