Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17-u273cl / Product number : 2EW63UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a win10 redstone 4 (1803) update, the following error mssg appeared on the desktop: 

Smart Audio: A Conexant audio devise could not be found. The application will now exit.  

I have no sound and this Notebook is only a few months old and running 8th gen I7-8550U (X64 based processor) with 16GB Ram but when I go to Device Mgr under Sound it shows:  NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (drivers appear to be the latest).  I thought the NVIDIA GeForce MX150 was just for graphics, but what do I know. 

When I look at sound under System Settings it states: No output devices found.  I did try a lot of the suggestions from the Virtual Assistant including reinstalling the HP sound drivers to no avail. 

Loved to get my sound back even if I have to use Realtek or some other sound devise/driver. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AZretiree1

That is very normal after a Windows upgrade. Reinstall driver should fix this, please try

(a) Download the following driver and save on your computer,

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp82501-83000/sp82807.exe

(b) Go to Device Manager and uninstall any leftover for Sound then reboot machine,

(c) Right click downloaded file and select run as administrator,

(d) At the end, reboot machine.

Note: I upgraded few machines yesterday, one machine has a software which was happily to run on Windows 1709 now I had to remove it otherwise Windows 1803 won't install (won't go to next step). I will ask software vendor how to re-install it.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@AZretiree1

That is very normal after a Windows upgrade. Reinstall driver should fix this, please try

(a) Download the following driver and save on your computer,

(b) Go to Device Manager and uninstall any leftover for Sound then reboot machine,

(c) Right click downloaded file and select run as administrator,

(d) At the end, reboot machine.

Note: I upgraded few machines yesterday, one machine has a software which was happily to run on Windows 1709 now I had to remove it otherwise Windows 1803 won't install (won't go to next step). I will ask software vendor how to re-install it.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

That worked like a champ! 

Note: I had already downloaded the same HP basic sound driver but had not uninstalled the Nvidia driver.  Thanks for the quick response.  This has made my day!

Cheers...

HP Recommended

Thank you, this issue has been vexing me for days. 

First, attempts to install Windows Feature Update 1803 were ending with a black screen after reboot.  And then a blue screen would come up.  After 6 failed attempts to get 1803 installed, I gave up.  I was able to revert, but no sound unless I'm connected to a USB-C dock.  The speakers on the laptop no longer worked.  This is the answer I've been searching for.

I've set feature updates to dealy install 365 days in windows update settings.  Microsoft needs to better test their updates before pusing them out.  My doing a manual check for updates, simply to avoid updates installing at another time should not stick me with a shoddy update.

HP Recommended

After reverting away from 1803, to the previous Windows version.  And set feature updates not to install for a year.  Since 1803 was not working for me at all.  I had this issue with no sound on the laptop speakers.  And was able to resolve the issue on my HP Envy laptop, by going to Device Manager and uninstalling everything listed in Sound.  Then rebooted. After logging back in, the system automatically added back the needed sound drives, no need for me to download and install anything manually.  Then I ran Windows Update, and it updated the drivers.  All has worked well since.

HP Recommended

sound not working after windows 1803 update 

also tried this driver but not sound coming 

plzz help I'm not able to do audio driver  in my notebook 

i don't want to roll back to 1709  

need a audio driver compatible windows 10 1803 

HP Recommended

I have the same exact problem here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Sound-not-working-after-windows-update-1803/m-p/7065069

HP ENVY X360 - M6-Aq105dx | Product Number: W2K44UA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

Product name:  HP ENVY x360 - m6-aq105dx

Product number: W2K44UA

Product number: W2K44UA#ABA

MIcrosoft Windows 10 - Update 1803

After a Win10 redstone 4 (1803) update, the speaker in the taskbar has a red "X" in it, and if I go into settings it shows no audio sound device.

Also the following error msg appeared on the desktop: 

Smart Audio: A Conexant audio device could not be found. The application will now exit.  

I have no sound and this Notebook is less than a year old and running 7th gen I7-7500U (X64 based processor) with 16GB Ram but when I go to Device Mgr under Sound it shows:  Conexant ISST Audio (drivers appear to be the latest)(v9.0.153.1).  

It also shows Intel(R) Display Audio (drivers appear to be latest)(v10.25.0.5)

When I look at sound under System Settings it states: No output devices found.  I did try a lot of the suggestions from the Virtual Assistant including reinstalling the HP sound drivers to no avail. 

I would love to get my sound back even if I have to use Realtek or some other sound device/driver. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank-you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.