Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a HP EliteBook 8440p and with my DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter I have connected the CP to my TV. Both HDMI cable, and adapter is ready for both sound and picture, but Im not geting any sound from my 8440p through this setup.

Does anyone have an idea? Maybe the 8440p doesn't support sound through DisplayPort? Not been able to find this out..

Hope anyone can help me 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The solution Is to install the Intel (R) Display Audio drivers. If you need them email me and I will send them to you.

steps to install:

1. Click on the flagged High Definition Audio Device

2. Update driver

3. Let me Pick Which Driver to instal

4. Have disk

5. Go to downloaded file location and install

6.  No restart needed.

Blaklightening@gmail.com

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is correct. I do not believe the 8440p does not support audio via display port.

See this HP Business forum post.

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-Compaq-Slate/Sound-on-displayport/m-p/2304377

Paul

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanx for Ure answer. Not quite what I hoped, but it seems right..

Senex

HP Recommended

HI

I have NVS3100 Card in my 8440P, I Installed latest driver from Nvidia Website. while installing the driver i select the option to remove all previous Driver and Srttings.  It will take some time to install, your screen will go BLANK and laptop will restart about 2 times.  after that i connected my 4 Yr Old HDTV and it worked with Audio.

HP Recommended

I just opened up the NVidia control panel from Control Panel, selected the default audio device to be the TV whilst connected with the displayport to hdmi lead, hey presto it works fine.

HP Recommended

The solution Is to install the Intel (R) Display Audio drivers. If you need them email me and I will send them to you.

steps to install:

1. Click on the flagged High Definition Audio Device

2. Update driver

3. Let me Pick Which Driver to instal

4. Have disk

5. Go to downloaded file location and install

6.  No restart needed.

Blaklightening@gmail.com

HP Recommended

I decided to do some digging on HPs site and here is what I found...    This is the Intel HD video card .  Using Win10 OS with the Win7 driver.

If you had Win7 installed and then upgraded to to Win10 like I did....  Win10 installed an "updated" driver for your video card.  The problem is, the upgraded version does not support the audio through DisplayPort.  The older version does,

When you go to install the 'old' version you will get a warning to make sure you know you are 'downgrading' the driver.  I figured I would give it try anyway.  After installing and rebooting, plugging in the DisplayPort to HDMI adapter I now have the option in my audio settings to use the audio in the TV.

The driver from HP is here:  http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=4095874&swItemId=ob_98086_2&swEnvOid=4060

That is the Win7 64bit driver and it works.

Good luck and I hope this helps someone!

HP Recommended

To mkzatg1 and the others here who have offered up their assistance, I am very grateful

This problem with the HP 8440p is a vexing one because there does not appear to be one common solution, with one solution working for some users while not for others. I have tried all of the solutions posted in the suggested thread

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=4095874&swItemId=ob_98086_2&swEnvOid=4060

and could not get any of them to work for me.

At first I thought it may have something to do with some 8440p's having an integrated Intel graphics card while others having the seperate Nvidia NVS3100. But posts can be found from owners of both versions who have both succeeded and failed in getting audio out of their DisplayPort into an HDMI adapter. I even thought it might have something to do with the HDMI adapters themselves, with some being active and some being passive. But I have tried both with no difference.

So, until some generous HP engineer can weigh-in with a definitive solution I believe this problem will remain a mystery. This is a real shame because even though the machine is now a few years old, many of us love the HP 8440p for its size, it's performance, its keyboard, and most importantly its unsurpassed build quality. In fact, in looking at what is for sale here in 2016 I can't find any laptop that matches the 8440p in these areas. Any suggestions?

In any case, I remain very appreciative for the assitance I have received.

Best Wishes,  Redlyne

HP Recommended

Hey, Redlyne......you'd do well to get your hands on a Lenovo laptop.

They build them well, too.

Mine's about 5 years old and still running strong. (probably blow up tomorrow now!)

Make sure you get one with HDMI port, as mine doesn. Mine's a V570 and I LOVE it!

Should be able to find one in the high 100's or low 200's.

Cheers and good luck.

Michael,
St. Catharines, ON, CANADA
HP Recommended

Was your 8440p on WIN7. WIN 10 totally killed my Displayport & VGA after I updated  to WIN 10.  I upgraded Mobo to NVS 3100m Nvidia card (chip) and Displayport worked again until I updated  Nvidia drivers. Which Nvidia driver set were you running? 

Thanks, 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.