Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I seem to have the same issues as this user:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Speakers-make-a-Crackling-Static-Grinding-Fluttering-no...

And I notice that the cracking does stop when I'm not plugged into the charger.

But I can't see any solution other than HP asking for a private message.  Anyone spotted anything else to solve this?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Envy17_User,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post you are having issues with cracking noise coming from the speakers. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to mute and check if you still hear the cracking noise coming from the notebook.

In the meantime, while you response to this post, let's try these steps here: 

Let's start off by uninstalling the audio drivers from device manager: 

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand sound video and game controllers>then select the sound drivers and right-click on it and uninstall the audio drivers.

Then check the box delete the software for this device.

Restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and audio drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Once done, restart the computer.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to run the audio test from the F2 (Please remember to capture the failure ID for further assistance).

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Please initiate a test on the Audio - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. Click Audio, then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

If the audio test passes then the evidence indicates towards a software issue. 

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You are in luck (maybe). if you are ablolutely certain that the laptop has never made this noise when it is not plugged in, then it is a grounding issue. static charge is building up in the laptop, and interacting with speakers to make sound.

solution make sure you plug directly into the wall, use another power outlet. one with ground. something other things plugged in nearby cause this problem.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210293145-How-to-Resolve-Ground-Loop-Issues...

HP Recommended

Thanks!  But I'm afraid a different plug point nor a different HP charger helped.

Will try the other suggestion to uninstall the driver tomorrow and report back if that worked.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

If you get this problem while not plugged into the ac adapter, or plugged into a properly grounded adapter then it is a DPC latancy issue.

This issue is intermittent which makes it harder to pin point what causes the issue. I would recommend charging the laptop while it is off and using the laptop for extended periods while unplugged. When the sound is occurring mute the speakers and see if it still stops.

HP Recommended

Hi - am afraid I get this only when plugged in but when plugged in to any adapter anywhere...

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for taking the time and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

To come back to you on the queries you had the crackling gets softer with the volume and there is nothing if the volume is muted.  The crackling also only seems to come at the beginning of the sound.

I have run the hardware diagnostics and there is NO crackling during the diagnostic.

I done what you suggested and uninstalled the Realtek as well as Intel sound drivers.  I have reinstalled them from HP website.  (Interestingly the HP Support Assistant didn't pick up the fact that there was no driver!).

I'm afraid that did not make any difference!

What was interesting was that the crackling and interference shot up when there was no driver and then went back to the level previously once the driver was reinstalled.

So I'm afraid still an issue...

HP Recommended

It may be the Intel smart sound drivers. Try this.

Let me know after a few days if it resolves the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.