Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-6140us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Audio from speakers only works if a headphone is plugged in. Sound is heard in speakers and headphones. Windows insists on installing it's own driver.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @cbsailor,

Thanks for the update & appreciate your efforts 🙂

Go to http://hp.care/2hIUAK9 and download and install the IDT audio codec. That should get it working.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello, @cbsailor - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for your continued participation on the HP Forums. I’d be glad to be of your assistance!

I see that you are having audio issues with the HP Pavilion notebook. Try using the HP guided solutions to try and fix the issue. Check here: http://hp.care/2dp5pwy

If the issue still persists, try the steps below:

• Go to device manager (You can give a right click on windows logo on bottom left corner of your screen and select device manager from the list)
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “Realtek high definition audio CODEC” (It might be a different brand as well) and select “Update driver software”.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not Realtek High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I ran the Audio Troubleshoooting tool. No Joy. Troubleshooter could not identify the problem. I followed your next suggestions.

My device was already a "High Definition Device" using MS driver ver 10.0.14393.0 dated 7/15/2016.

I uninstalled all audio devices (again). Performed a hard reset (Shutdown, removed battery and ac adapter. Held power on button for 10 sec, reinstalled battery & ac adapter). I powered on and let windows re-discover and install drivers for audio. Same driver installs with same results. Performed configure on "Speakers".  Tested with no joy. Inserted headphone in to jack, performed same test. Sound from speaker and headphones works ok. I'm stuck!

HP Recommended

Hello @cbsailor,

Thanks for the update & appreciate your efforts 🙂

Go to http://hp.care/2hIUAK9 and download and install the IDT audio codec. That should get it working.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link. I downloaded and installed the service pack. It was a lengthy load and restart or maybe Win 10 was up to one of its usual tricks. The install finally completed and the system restarted. I now have speakers and communication headphone icons showing HP/IDT High Definition CODEC in Control Panel/Sounds. Checked the Sounds setup in Control Panel and ran the test. Results same as before. No sound from the speakers unless there is a plug inserted in a Headphone or Mic jack. Hope you have other ideas. Thanks for you help.

HP Recommended

Hello @cbsailor,

Thanks for the update!

Let's try creating a new user account and then check the functionality. You can refer to this wonderful document to get assistance in creating a new user account: http://hp.care/2dWJKgW 

Once the local account is created, try playing audio and check.

Also, if this issue started after a recent Windows update, I would suggest restoring the PC. You use System Restore to restore your computer to a point in time before an issue began, System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected. You can get the detailed steps here: http://hp.care/2c1kggM 

Let me know how that goes!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Sorry for the slow response. I just had to walk away from this issue for a while.

After my last reply, I rebooted the next day and lo-and-behold I had sound from the speakers. I also noticed the Beats Audio Control Panel app was in Control Panel. Things looked OK for a short while. Then MS struck with updates KB3214628 (Adobe Flash Player), KB890830 (Win MSRT) and KB3213986 (Win10 Cumulative). On reboot from the updates, the system was back to square one with sound only coming from speakers with a plug in a headphone or mic jack. I went through the drill and removed the IDT devices and software and then reinstalled. Still no sound from the speakers unless there is something plugged in the jacks and now the sounds are clipped or distorted and sometimes not there at all. I removed all the IDT software and reinstalled again with the same results.  

BTW I tried to add a new user without a MS account. The User creates, but when I try to login as that User, I get “The User Profile Service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded”. I removed the account and tried to create another User and got the same results.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello @cbsailor,

Thanks for the update!

Try performing a system restore. Your PC will create restore points before the updates and the system restore will help you to configure the system to that point. You can get detailed steps here: http://hp.care/2c1kggM 

If that did not fix the issue, then I am afraid that the last resort is to perform a system recovery. Back up all personal files and read all caution statements before performing a system recovery. Failure to backup your files will result in loss of files and information that you do not want to lose.

NB:  If your computer previously had Windows 8 or Windows 7 and it was upgraded to Windows 10, you cannot recover back to Windows 10. If you recover, you will recover back to your original version of Windows (Windows 8 or Windows 7). You need to reinstall Windows 10.

You can get the instructions here: http://hp.care/2cf8noz 

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I'm listening to music from my library as I type this reply. Installation of the SP appears to have things working on first bootup each day. Either heat or some other application seems to kill the sound during the day. I will pursue tracking down this but consider this issue "Fixed". Thanks for all your help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.