Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

What is the proper setting for Audio Enhancement, Advanced Properties, for the speakers of my HP Envy m7-n109dx, to prevent static noise and have ideal sound? Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@FandE

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• Did this happen after a recent window or software update?
  • Have you made any hardware/software changes?
  • Did you make any changes on the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • When was the last time it worked fine?

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Use the troubleshooting tool in Windows

The audio troubleshooting tool in Windows can automatically fix common audio recording and audio playback problems with your computer. Run the troubleshooting tool using the following steps:

• In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon https://hp.dezide.com/data/pictures/hp-external/web_author/guid-a7774d00-7a27-4b96-ab1c-b2f8a7083ba0-low_86905_en.jpg in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  • Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  • Click Next.
  • Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.
  • Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).
  • When the troubleshooter is done, the Troubleshooting has completed page is displayed, listing any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.
  • Click Close.
  • If a recommended action is displayed, select Apply this fix.

Restoring the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager:

1. In Windows, search for and open Recovery Manager.
  2. Click Reinstall drivers and/or applications.
  3. Select the audio driver in the list, and then click Install.
  4. Wait for the driver to reinstall. When the installation is complete, click OK.
  5. Close HP Recovery Manager and then restart your computer.
  6. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, try updating the driver using Device Manager.

Updating the audio driver using Device Manager:

Make sure the audio device is enabled and then update the audio driver using Device Manager as follows:

1. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
  3. If a sound device is listed with a down arrow, the device is disabled. Right-click the sound device name and select Enable to re-enable the device.
  4. With the sound device enabled, right-click the sound device and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
  6. Windows checks for and installs any updated drivers found. The window displays whether the computer already has the latest available driver or if Windows was able to successfully update the audio driver.
  7. If a window opens asking you to restart the computer, restart the computer.
  8. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after updating the driver, continue to the next step.

If you completed these steps and the latest driver was already installed, use the following steps to uninstall and then reinstall the driver:

3. Right-click the sound device and select Uninstall.
  4. Restart the computer to reinstall the driver.
  5. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, continue to the next step.

BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

crackling, distortion, static, rattling, buzzing on right speaker of spectre x360 15-df0xxx here. above steps don't work. all drivers updated and reinstalled.

happens mostly when speaker is outputting higher or lower frequencies which are emphasized or pronounced in a piece of music. only right speaker though. happens on all audio above 50% volume so affects web conferences too.

HP support assistant shows no updates available as at 18th August 2020, sound driver has been manually reinstalled. Please advise - bought this for at a premium for work, hopefully little or no downtime.

HP Recommended

@RChua

Welcome to the HP support community.

Use the troubleshooting tool in Windows

The audio troubleshooting tool in Windows can automatically fix common audio recording and audio playback problems with your computer. Run the troubleshooting tool using the following steps:

• In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon https://hp.dezide.com/data/pictures/hp-external/web_author/guid-a7774d00-7a27-4b96-ab1c-b2f8a7083ba0-low_86905_en.jpg in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  • Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  • Click Next.
  • Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.
  • Wait while the troubleshooter detects problems and makes changes (or prompts you to make changes).
  • When the troubleshooter is done, the Troubleshooting has completed page is displayed, listing any problems found and what changes were made to the computer.
  • Click Close.
  • If a recommended action is displayed, select Apply this fix.

Restoring the audio driver in HP Recovery Manager:

1. In Windows, search for and open Recovery Manager.
  2. Click Reinstall drivers and/or applications.
  3. Select the audio driver in the list, and then click Install.
  4. Wait for the driver to reinstall. When the installation is complete, click OK.
  5. Close HP Recovery Manager and then restart your computer.
  6. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, try updating the driver using Device Manager.

Updating the audio driver using Device Manager:

Make sure the audio device is enabled and then update the audio driver using Device Manager as follows:

3. If a sound device is listed with a down arrow, the device is disabled. Right-click the sound device name and select Enable to re-enable the device.
  4. With the sound device enabled, right-click the sound device and select Update Driver Software.
  5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
  6. Windows checks for and installs any updated drivers found. The window displays whether the computer already has the latest available driver or if Windows was able to successfully update the audio driver.
  7. If a window opens asking you to restart the computer, restart the computer.
  8. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after updating the driver, continue to the next step.

If you completed these steps and the latest driver was already installed, use the following steps to uninstall and then reinstall the driver:

3. Right-click the sound device and select Uninstall.
  4. Restart the computer to reinstall the driver.
  5. Test for sound. If the audio problem persists after reinstalling the driver, continue to the next step.

BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

reinstalled latest drivers from HP - nope still crackling/static/distortion when there is an emphasis in audio, sporadic and regardless of music or voice.

works better if volume is at 30-40% but need this louder 50-70% for conference calls etc.

seen a lot of posts here on the same - many without resolution..... are people sending back to hp for a physical fix? is it a design flaw?

HP Recommended

@RChua

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response. I understand that there's been a lot of issues with Windows 10 updates. I will need a couple of days to do this and will provide my findings when I do. 

HP Recommended

OK I've managed to steal some time away to do the whole reinstall thing. Took a couple of hours through the USB stick and it went through without issues. Just logged into Windows 10 and immediately downloaded the Tunein app from Microsoft store and disappointed to find that the static/distortion/buzzing from the right speaker still there ! 

Will now install Windows updates and hopefully a newer sound driver will help. Fingers crossed. 

HP Recommended

Update: Windows update with latest drivers didn't work either. 

Its the same as before the factory reset and reinstall of windows and subsequent drivers.

Distortion goes away at volume level 34 and below sound is more balanced without the "B&O Experience" feature in HP Audio Control. 

I have seen some others have the same issue and the fix seems to be a replacement. Does the Singapore HP service centre have the replacement part? Would they understand the issue already (seems quite common, now that I am searching more online for solutions)? 

HP Recommended

@RChua

Thank you for posting back. 

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.