Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ever since I upgraded my HP Spectre x360 notebook to Windows 10, I have not been able to use the Stereo Mix function to record audio produced by the machine. I need to do this for the work I do - making audio copies of speeches on television, for example - and have never struggled to activate the function on any other machine before.

After extensive web searches, here are the things I already have tried:

1) Under Sound > Recording Devices in the Control Panel, right-clicked to show disabled and disconnected devices. The only device I see "Microphone - Intel Smart Sound Technology". Nothing else appeared.

2) Downloaded and installed the latest audio drivers provided by HP on its customer support page (it was the Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver 6.4.10041.130 Rev.A), released on 19 November 2015. Nothing new appeared.

3) Downloaded and installed the latest Realtek drivers from Realtek's own website at realtek.com.tw. Nothing new appeared.

I'm prepared to muck about in the registry to force Windows to activate Stereo Mix, but I have no idea where to look.

Is it significant that all my audio devices are listed as "Intel Smart Sound Technology" and not as Realtek?

Does anyone have any ideas?

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

MikeTheTintin,

Happy New Year!  This problem with audio has been going on since 2014. I don't think the problem is with Intel, Microsoft ,Apple etc. The problem is HP!!  This company could not find it' s "bleep"  with both hands. Now the "snake" has two heads.  Run! do not walk to nearest exit and don't look back!!!

Ham123

HP Recommended

Just thought I'd let anyone who's interested know that I spent 90 minutes on with HP support with this one. They logged into my computer and repeated all the steps I indicated above, including reinstalling drivers. After the process they concluded that stereo mix does indeed NOT work with Windows 10 on HP Spectre x360. It has apparently been logged as an issue and engineers will be working to fix it.

No timeframes, of course.

HP Recommended

Once again folks, I thought it might be worth updating this thread for anyone who has a similar issue and stumbled across it while doing a Google search. The short update is no, no stereo mix yet.

I have received further correspondence from HP's "level two team", who advised me to perform a factory reset on the machine. Most of you will know this is quite a lengthy process - it involves backing up files, resetting the machine, and then reinstalling all the software I had previously installed - and not one I can do in a spare half an hour.

Part of the reason I haven't done it yet is that HP haven't assured me that it will work: when I asked, they used words like "it might work" and "you should get it", which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. My fear is that it will be a stinking waste of time.

My work is fairly busy at the moment and I haven't had a chance to do a factory reset, but I will do it. I'll update here once it's done.

I fully expect to open with the words "No, no stereo mix yet", though.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem here ... no Stereo Mix .... and no time to " try " this factory reset . Maybe if someone finds out that it works, I could be more open to do it . But now, I 'm just regretting my choice of buying an HP .

HP Recommended

BUMP - Same issue, no Stereo Mix, and I see no reason why a factory reset would fix my issue. If someone can provide a compelling reason why it might work I'd be glad to read it. 

I LOVE my Spectre,  drivers have been iffy so far... 😄

HP Recommended

Folks, you will be astonished to hear it didn't work.

I spent the last three hours backing up my data and performing the factory reset that HP Support asked me to do. I am now back to a blank Windows 8 setup on my HP spectre and there is *no* Stereo Mix available. The same problems described above by me and others continue to persist.

If HP support ask you to reset your machine back to factory settings as a possible fix, do NOT agree to do it.

I'm not a technician and yet I knew it wouldn't work. What do I have to do to be taken seriously by these people?

HP Recommended

I am having the same problems! Please fix. The Spectre x360 is a fantastic piece of kit, what a waste to have minor issues like this mar an amazing machine. Please fix!!!

HP Recommended

Same here. HP please fix this issue. 

HP Recommended

Hey there @MikeTheTintin @DJRICHLOVE!

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand that stereo mix is missing after updating to windows 10.

Please try steps recommended below.

Type Apps & features in the Search field on the Desktop.
Tap or click Apps & features in the list of installed apps.
Tap or click the IDT\Realtek driver from the list.
Tap or click Uninstall and follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the driver.
Restart the computer when the uninstall has completed.
The computer should install generic audio driver once after uninstallation is complete.
Check if the stereo mix is listing in playback devices.

Right-click the sound icon by the clock and go to Playback Devices click show hidden devices.
Again Right-click the sound icon by the clock and go to Playback Devices. Right-click Speakers and go to Properties. Switch to the Levels tab, and unmute the Microphone.

If the above steps do not work try updating the Realtek Audio driver to 6.410041.133.

Please find the link below to update the audio driver.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp76001-76500/sp76089.exe

Hope to hear from you soon!

Have a great day!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.