Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am just very disappointed that an almost PERFECT laptop lacks two things, one, which is the BIGGEST failure of the two, is that there is NO "Mute Microphone" button. Who needs an "airplane mode" function key but not a "mute microphone" button on a gaming laptop?! It is a HUGE laptop with a battery that last less than an hour, who is using it on an airplane?! Secondly, there is NO docking station for it. Why did no one believe that it would be a good idea to not have to unplug 5 cords EVERY time that you want to move your "Mobile Computer aka Laptop"?! Super sad that this is not a perfect laptop when it is so expensive and came so close.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@XavierMaximus

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  
Use key press combinations to control mute functions on the keyboard.

On the keyboard you will be able to find functions keys such as f1 to f12 on the top row. Mostly F8 key will be mute button.

Learn how to get the most service and life from your HP notebook battery by following these industry-wide suggested best practices.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01297640 (refer to Battery care practices) 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No, that does NOT solve my problem. That mutes SOUND. I am specifically asking to mute my MICROPHONE. Is there no button to mute the mic? Is there no shortcut at least to mute my mic through the keyboard?

HP Recommended

There is a button in the control panel to mute the microphone, but I have no idea how to create a keyboard shortcut for it.

However, there are two programs for this:

SoundVolumeView

MicMute

HP Recommended

I will check out SoundVolumeView but I have tried MicMute and it does NOT work. It won’t work with zoom or discord 

HP Recommended

@XavierMaximus

Thank you for posting back. 

Not to worry, I've got a few more steps to isolate the issue. 

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but how does that solve my issue of NO MICROPHONE MUTE BUTTON OR SHORTCUT? I don’t have something “not working”, I have a “lack” of something. A lack of an ability to mute my microphone, specifically. I feel like your replies are simply canned and out of a book without actually addressing my questions. The other non-HP-employee posters have been more helpful, to be honest. 

HP Recommended

@XavierMaximus

If your computer doesn't come with dedicate mute button then you can use the mute options just clicking on speaker icon.

And also if you're using communication apps then you will be able to use mute options in app settings.

To access the Volume Mixer follow the below steps:

• Go to the bottom-right corner of your taskbar, then right-click the Volume Control icon.
  • Select Open Volume Mixer from the options.
  • A new window will pop up. Here, you will see the running applications and their audio levels.
    And you will get the options to mute the particular app audio settings.

If you don't see any sound or audio options then update the drivers using HP support assistant.

Please click “

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

But don't you see?! That is exactly what I am talking about! You aren't answering my question. "WHY IS THERE NO SHORTCUT TO MUTE MY MIC?" I don't want a 5 step process to mute my mic. I would love to have a "dedicated mute button on my laptop", but this one, that is HP, doesn't have one. Maybe what I need to do is simply return this and not buy any more HP products. It makes no sense that I need to buy a new computer to simply be able to mute my mic without trouble.

HP Recommended

@XavierMaximus

To get the answer to this question, It's a feature by design. As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.