Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dm1z-3200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded this PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 about two years ago.  The sound has been working OK. Now I just had to reinstall Windows 10 due to "BOOT DRIVE INACCESSIBLE". Everything seems OK now, except there is no sound. In Device Manager, there is an unknown  device. I suspect it's the sound card, and that I need a driver. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Glad the sound is OK.

Here is the link to the driver you need...

This package provides the HP 3D DriveGuard software for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. HP 3D DriveGuard protects the hard drive by "parking the heads" if the notebook is accidentally dropped or is abruptly impacted by another object. 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try this W10 IDT audio driver from a newer model notebook. 

Install and restart the PC.

This package contains the driver that enables the IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio in supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp63501-64000/sp63555.exe

The unknown device is probably something else that needs a driver.

Please post the hardware ID for it so I can post the link to the driver you need.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device...

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

HP Recommended

Paul,

I am embarressed to report that I just discovered the sound had been muted. It is working fine now.

As regards the unknown device that showed up, the hardware IDs are:

ACPI\VEN_HPQ&DEV_0004

ACPI\HPQ0004

*HPQ0004

Any assistance on identifing the dvice and obtaining the correct driver would be most appreciated.

HP Recommended

Glad the sound is OK.

Here is the link to the driver you need...

This package provides the HP 3D DriveGuard software for supported notebook models that are running a supported operating system. HP 3D DriveGuard protects the hard drive by "parking the heads" if the notebook is accidentally dropped or is abruptly impacted by another object. 

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64001-64500/sp64144.exe

HP Recommended

Thanks, Paul! That fixed it!

Is HP 3D DriveGuard the same as this System device I can see:

HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is correct.

The HP 3D DriveGuard is the trade name for the HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.