Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
7265NGW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear sir/madam,

The keys for brightness and for volume are not working today. I have an hp laptop with windows 10, but i didn't have any recent windows 10 update.

Could you please help me fix it? 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@kontousi

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand the brightness and volume keys are not working and you need a way to fix this issue,

There are a few things which you can do.

Starting with updating the video adapters using the device manager and/or the HP Support assistant

Click the Start button, then click Run .

2.In the Run window, next to Open , type MSCONFIG.

3.Press the ENTER key.

4.In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab.

5.On the Startup tab, under Startup Item , ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox.

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the HotKey Utility application by clicking here

For windows 10 drivers:​​​​​​ click here

Let me know how that pans out, I hope you have a good day ahead, And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help. Regards,

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear sandytechy20,

I tried the solution you gave me but it didn't work. First of all when i click the Startup tab there is nothing called startup item anywhere.  Therefore there is no checkbox. Also the link you gave me to reinstall it doesn't work. Specifically when i am clicking it the page does not open. Could you please advise me a different solution?

Kind regards,

kontousi

HP Recommended

@kontousi

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time, patience and efforts,

Considering, you are using windows 10 on your HP Laptop, the start tab is nothing but the button on the bottom left corner that gets you the start screen/programs - the same can be accessed using the windows buttons on your keypad between ALT and Fn keys.

Also about the links, I've edited and corrected them, please use the correct links, mentioned below to reinstall the latest updates for your Fn (Function) keys, please follow the below steps to fix this concern:

Click the Start button, then click Run .

2.In the Run window, next to Open , type MSCONFIG.

3.Press the ENTER key.

4.In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab.

5.On the Startup tab, under Startup Item , ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox.

NOTE: If HKserv is missing, reinstall the HotKey Utility application by Clicking here

For windows 10 drivers: Click here

Keep me posted,
If the information I've provided was helpful,
give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Was folleoing instructions on how to get the brightness and voulume keys to work but when I get to start up tab it was empty. What to do now?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.