Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY notebook #M9X67AV
Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard and older

When I ask a question to Cortana something  it says "sorry about that, I didn't hear anything. I have not used it in a while, but it was working. Also why is my computer fan always seem to be running?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@dmp66

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand Cortana isn't able to hear you anymore,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check if your microphone is turned on?

Have you attempted to update the microphone drivers?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to know:

If Cortana doesn't respond when you speak into your PC, this might be why:

• Your microphone may be not be set up. In the search box on the task-bar, type set up a microphone, and then select Set up a microphone and follow the prompts.

Set up microphone search results

• You may not have a microphone. In the search box on the task-bar, type Manage audio devices and select the result. Go to the Recording tab of the box that appears. If you have a microphone, you'll see it listed here.

Make sure your microphone has been set as a default recording device. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Right-click on the sound icon in your taskbar, and choose Recording devices
  2. Find the microphone you’re using, and make sure it has been set as a default recording device, if not, click on the microphone, and choose Set Default

Once your microphone is set to default, you need to configure it to work properly on your computer. To configure your microphone, do the following:

1. Go to Search, type set up mic, and open Set Up Microphone
  2. You’ll be prompted to read a famous ‘Peter’ sentence, so read the sentence in order to allow computer to recognize your voice
  3. Once you’re done, your microphone will be set up properly.

When you make sure your microphone is set up properly, return to Cortana and try to give her a voice command, if she still can’t hear you, try some of the solutions below.

Solution 1 – Disable enhancements

1. Right-click on the sound icon in the taskbar, and go to Recording devices
  2. Double-click on your default microphone
  3. Go to Enhancements, and check Disable all enhancements

Solution 2 – Adjust microphone levels

Maybe Cortana hears you, but she can’t recognize what are you telling her. If that’s the case, your microphone level is probably set to low. Here’s what you need to do to fix that:

1. Open recording devices, and double click on your default microphone
  2. Go to Levels tab, and adjust the scale a little higher
  3. Once you did that, click OK, and try to speak with Cortana again

Solution 3 – Update a microphone driver

1. Go to Search, type device manager, and open Device Manager
  2. Expand Audio inputs and outputs
  3. Right-click on your microphone, and choose Update Driver Software,
  4. Wait for the installation to finish (if there is an available update)
  5. Restart your computer

Keep me posted,

If I have answered your queries, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@dmp66

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand Cortana isn't able to hear you anymore,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you check if your microphone is turned on?

Have you attempted to update the microphone drivers?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to know:

If Cortana doesn't respond when you speak into your PC, this might be why:

• Your microphone may be not be set up. In the search box on the task-bar, type set up a microphone, and then select Set up a microphone and follow the prompts.

Set up microphone search results

• You may not have a microphone. In the search box on the task-bar, type Manage audio devices and select the result. Go to the Recording tab of the box that appears. If you have a microphone, you'll see it listed here.

Make sure your microphone has been set as a default recording device. To do so, follow these steps:

1. Right-click on the sound icon in your taskbar, and choose Recording devices
  2. Find the microphone you’re using, and make sure it has been set as a default recording device, if not, click on the microphone, and choose Set Default

Once your microphone is set to default, you need to configure it to work properly on your computer. To configure your microphone, do the following:

1. Go to Search, type set up mic, and open Set Up Microphone
  2. You’ll be prompted to read a famous ‘Peter’ sentence, so read the sentence in order to allow computer to recognize your voice
  3. Once you’re done, your microphone will be set up properly.

When you make sure your microphone is set up properly, return to Cortana and try to give her a voice command, if she still can’t hear you, try some of the solutions below.

Solution 1 – Disable enhancements

1. Right-click on the sound icon in the taskbar, and go to Recording devices
  2. Double-click on your default microphone
  3. Go to Enhancements, and check Disable all enhancements

Solution 2 – Adjust microphone levels

Maybe Cortana hears you, but she can’t recognize what are you telling her. If that’s the case, your microphone level is probably set to low. Here’s what you need to do to fix that:

1. Open recording devices, and double click on your default microphone
  2. Go to Levels tab, and adjust the scale a little higher
  3. Once you did that, click OK, and try to speak with Cortana again

Solution 3 – Update a microphone driver

1. Go to Search, type device manager, and open Device Manager
  2. Expand Audio inputs and outputs
  3. Right-click on your microphone, and choose Update Driver Software,
  4. Wait for the installation to finish (if there is an available update)
  5. Restart your computer

Keep me posted,

If I have answered your queries, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help. It turned out that somehow my mic was muted. I have no idea how that happened, but thanks to your post it now works, thanks

HP Recommended

@dmp66

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards identifying and leading you towards the solution for this concern.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know that you accept my suggestions,

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And select Accepted as solution to help others find the same solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.