Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HP Split 13 x2 PC, (removed content), E3A10AV,  Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

I have tired everything that I can think of to resolve this this very frustrating problem. I just tried installing the SP74374  driver and the microphone still shuts off.  I have uninstalled the driver, used the problem solver, and unchecked the boxes that allow programs to have influence over the microphone. I have used an external microphone, USB and Plug in type, same result. I open the microphone level page unclick the red circle on the microphone and set the level and within 2 minutes the red micorphone symbol returns.  I don't know if it's HP or a Windows 10 issue. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think I found the solution! I researched the problem and found that it was solved by running a virus scan that found and fixed the problem. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello, @baggage1 - Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for reaching out to HP Support Forums! I would be glad to be of your assistance!

I understand that the microphone on your HP Split x2 PC. Let's try the steps mentioned below to fix this issue (You can ignore the steps you already tried):

1. Run Audio Troubleshooter:

- Launch Troubleshooting by typing and clicking “Troubleshooting” in   

Windows search.

- Click on "Playing Audio".

- Follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check if the microphone isn't disabled:

- Right click on the Volume Icon on the taskbar, select "Recording Devices".

- Click on "Show disconnected devices", and "Show disabled devices".

- Select on Microphone, click on "Properties". If it is disabled, enable it.

- Once enabled, set Microphone as default audio input device.

3. Check if the microphone isn't muted:

- Right-Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Volume Mixer".

- On the Microphone slider, slide it up to 100%.

4. Boost sensitivity of Microphone:

- Right-Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording".

- Double click on Microphone.

- Open the Levels Tab, move the Microphone boost slider up to check audio.

5. Disable enhancements:

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording“, Double

click on Microphone.

- Open the Enhancements / Effects Tab.

- Check "Disable All Sound / System Effects“. Click Apply, OK, test the Microphone again.

6. Change format of the Microphone:

- Go to the Advanced Tab, choose any of the 16-bit options on the list.

That should do the trick. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I had to instal Classic Shell in order to find where to find the search box in win10.  I'm about ready to send this machine into a non functional mode for keeps. I  did all of those things before and did them again at your suggestion. it is still muting the mic. This will take a registery hack to fix or send it back to factory original configuration which creates a whole lot of more problems. 

HP Recommended

Hello, @baggage1

Thanks for the reply & appreciate your efforts 🙂

I did some digging in Microsoft threads, and this seems to help few customers. Please give it a try:

1. Press Windows key + X, then select Control Panel.

2. Click on Hardware and Sound, then click on Sound.

3. Go to Recording tab, then select your audio device and click on Properties.

4. Select Levels tab, and adjust the Microphone level.

5. Then go to Advanced tab, and clear the box for Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device from Exclusive Mode.

6. Reboot your computer.

If the issue persists, you can try to perform the suggested workaround from this Microsoft forum thread: http://hp.care/2lVMC06 

Hope that helps. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you Dvortex for helping me with my microphone issue. I went to the microphone levels and turned on and set the microphone then went to advanced and reset then removed the checked box in exclusive settings and rebooted emmediately afterwards. I the microphone was shut off when I opened the microphone levels box. 

The microphone has a mind of it's own. No settings that I can find will let the microphne stay on. Whanever I set it I can watch it return to the off position in a matter of seconds or 2 minutes at the longest so far.   I'm baffled:manfrustrated:      

HP Recommended

I think I found the solution! I researched the problem and found that it was solved by running a virus scan that found and fixed the problem. 

HP Recommended

Hey there! I'm having the exact same issue with my mic. Nothing works for fixing. What virus scan did you use?

Thanks!

This is making me crazy.

HP Recommended

Hi @LuluR

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the microphone is not working on your computer.

I’d love to help!

Follow below steps to resolve this issue.

1. Run Audio Troubleshooter

- Launch Troubleshooting by typing and clicking “Troubleshooting” in   

Windows search.

- Click on "Playing Audio".

- Follow the on-screen instructions.

2. Check if the microphone isn't disabled.

- Click on "Show disconnected devices", and "Show disabled devices".

- Select on Microphone, click on "Properties". If it is disabled, enable it.

- Once enabled, set Microphone as default audio input device.

3. Check if the microphone isn't muted.

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Volume Mixer".

- On the Microphone slider, slide it up to 100%.

4. Boost sensitivity of Microphone

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording".

- Open the Levels Tab, move the Microphone boost slider up to check audio.

5. Disable enhancements

- Right Click on the Volume icon on the taskbar, select "Recording“, Double

click on Microphone.

- Open the Enhancements / Effects Tab.

- Check "Disable All Sound / System Effects“. Click Apply, OK, test the Microphone again.

6. Change format of the Microphone

- Go to the Advanced Tab, choose any of the 16-bit options on the list.

Let me know how it works and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I used Malwarebytes. I had downloaded it to try and remove some ransomware on a relatives machine. I used the 15day free trail full version to scan my issue and the other hdd. I had tried everything to no avail. I was about to hurl and watch the machine fly and decided to give one more try with Malwarebytes and it worked! I had eventually thought another program had hijacked the sound settings. I use wireless headphones and a separate VOIP phone system for my volunteer work. I had installed Skype when things then started to south. I went to Skype tech support who linked an older version and it worked for a short time until windows updated. With Win 10 you can't control updates so the sound problem cropped back up again when Skyp updated. Still don't know why it happened but sure glad it's fixed. :OpenSmile:    

HP Recommended
Hey thank you. Yeah I kept reading a little more the other day and tried the malwarebites. That did the trick. Some kind of Trojan virus or something. No idea how it got on there because it always working fine and then one day it just started doing that. Thank you for the reply
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.