Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

microphone is not working for any app.  when I bring up the volume controls, that bar moves when I speak like it is working.  I have checked app permissions and those appear to be correctly set.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@cfelrod Thank you for the update,

I hate we couldn't resolve the issue based on a hardware problem, however, if you wish to help the community grow, you can select - "Accept as solution". on the post you feel would help other people in the community resolve similar issues.

If you have any future questions don't hesitate to ask.

Have a good day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

@cfelrod Greetings from the HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Meanwhile, I have a few steps to help you out:

The Troubleshooting tool automatically finds and fixes many computer issues. Use it to troubleshoot microphone problems.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

2. Click Troubleshooting.

3. Under Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio recording.

NOTE: 

Administrator permission is required to run this program. If prompted, type the administrator password or provide confirmation.

4. The Sound troubleshooter opens. Click Next. The troubleshooter begins checking the audio service status.

5. Select the device you want to troubleshoot, and then click Next.

6. Follow the on-screen instructions and make any changes suggested by the troubleshooter. When done, close the troubleshooter.

7. If the problem persists, continue to the next step.

We may need to reset the privacy settings for the Microphone if the issue occurred after any recent windows updates:

1. Open Settings from your start menu.
  2. Click on Privacy in order to access all your privacy settings.
  3. Select Microphone from the left pane and then click the Change button.
  4. Now, turn on the microphone for this device.
  5. Turn on Allow apps to access your microphone.
  6. Finally, in the app list, make sure to turn on microphone access for every app you want to give permission to access your microphone.
  7. Repeat the same exact steps but for your webcam this time.

If the issue persists, uninstall the microphone driver and restart to automatically install a fresh driver for the same.

1. Open device manager, the fastest way is through the search bar:
  2. Open ‘Audio Inputs and Outputs’
  3. Left-click on your recording device.
  4. In the menu that opens up Click ‘Uninstall’.
  5. delete the driver. click apply/OK and then, restart the pc.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hardware problem.  They're sending me a box.

HP Recommended

@cfelrod Thank you for the update,

I hate we couldn't resolve the issue based on a hardware problem, however, if you wish to help the community grow, you can select - "Accept as solution". on the post you feel would help other people in the community resolve similar issues.

If you have any future questions don't hesitate to ask.

Have a good day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi I have the same problem with my HP Spectre x360 Convertible - the built in microphone is not working with my applications.  Please contact me to resolve this issue.  Thank you

HP Recommended

I tried this and it did not work. I am out of options. I first had a problem using Zoom and thought it was a windows 10 privacy thing but i've also tested my microphone with Cortana and it says that my microphone may not be set up even though it shows that it looks like it's working -- the indicator moves as I'm talking so it's picking up sound, just not sending it anywhere I guess. I have a new HP Pavillion. I really need help here. Can someone from HP respond? I've spent several hours trying to figure this out. I'm about to throw my computer out the window. 

HP Recommended

Hi HP agent -

I am usually really good at identifying microphone functioning issues, but for some reason my computer's device microphone is not working - and now after working on it for awhile, I cannot even access the microphone options.  I was using an external mic earlier today, and it worked fine.  I used my headphones+mic just a bit ago and it worked fine, but I cannot find my device mic.  

If you're willing, please view this 1 min screenshot video to see what I mean.  I use my device mic often and I am disturbed that I cannot use it.  HP 15-daxxx, LAPTOP-6VOK3RGQ

https://www.loom.com/share/07e86ea981f44a318023aa518208e185

HP Recommended

I have the same problem after software updates (and Zoom I see mentioned in another comment) on Friday 20th March - it is not a hardware problem.  The mic detects in windows settings and all privacy options are correct.  Windows is even reporting the mic was last used by apps when i try to use it - but nothing!  Rollbacks, re-install of drivers all done.  Still not working.  

HP Recommended

Eventually I just shut the computer down and turned it on the next day and then it was working fine.  I'm still concerned about the fact that I couldn't find a solution.  I could foresee contexts in which I will need to switch back and forth between several devices in one setting.  Solution still needed.

HP Recommended

rebooted many a time - uninstalled, re-installed, rollback, levels at 100%, system restore everything i can think of and still the mic is detected in windows settings but not outside in other apps (despite privacy options all allowed and Windows reporting it has been used).  Been fine till Friday's updates and a zoom install.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.