Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion x360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since updating the latest windows update at 31-03-2021, the speaker/microphone is not catching my voice at all. I am able to hear everything though.

I updated all the drivers in sound and audio settings and updated optional updates as well. also updated BIOS. 

what can I do to make myself audible? it's really annoying because no one can hear me during meetings (I tried the built-in voice recorder and its not catching my voice either). issue is both with speakers and microphones.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@AFS276

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

And, also run BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Echo_Lake,

As mentioned in my complaint, I have updated everything, including BIOS, yet my issue is not resolved. I checked my drivers again and updated everything.

HP Recommended

@AFS276

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Echo_Lake

Thank you for the suggestion. Before doing a factory reset, I was wondering whether uninstalling a recent windows update can revert back my laptop's settings? I had an update on 14th of March, after which I noticed my microphone stopped working. The issue is, on the sound system, the microphone moves the bar as it receives my voice but it does not record it. 

shall I try uninstalling the 14th March update? also, if I do uninstall, will I lose my files/do I need to make a backup? 

HP Recommended

@AFS276

Let's try Microsoft system restore in order to restore the computer to the previous working date. 
System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

1. Save any open files and close all open programs.
  2. In Windows, search for restore, and then open Create a restore point from the results list.

System Properties opens with the System Protection tab selected.

• On the System Protection tab, click System Restore.

The System Restore window opens.

1. Click Next.
  2. Click the Restore Point that you want to use, then click Next.

The confirmation window opens.

1. Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.
  2. Do not interrupt System Restore when it starts. This can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. Click Yes in the warning that appears.
  3. System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

Please click “

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Echo_Lake

AFS276_0-1618477961086.png

unfortunately, I do not have the option to system restore. is uninstalling the update form control panel a viable option? 

HP Recommended

@AFS276

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I downloaded the audio drivers for my laptop model from HP's website, that worked me. 

HP Recommended

@AFS276

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, go to the public post & give us a virtual high-five by clicking the "Thumbs Up" icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on my public post.

Have a great day ahead!

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.