Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: HO Envy 15 TS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Sound problem after upgrading to windows 10.

I had been running Windows 10 on  my HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook back but had to do a restore back to Windows 8.1. Nothing was wrong with my sound but a week or so later, I upgraded back to Windows 10 and now the sound seems very faint. If I preview a test sound, all seems fine but when I open any program that has a sound with it, it sounds soft. I use to keep my volume at about 40% and that was always plenty loud. I now put it at 100% and it sounds about where it might have been when I had it at 40%. I looked for a new driver on the HP site but the driver says it was released in 2013 which is before Windows 10 came out so I don't know if I should download it.

When checking under device manager, it says my driver is from  July 2016 and I believe it's a generic Microsoft driver.

What driver should I use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you are having issues with the generic MS driver, I suggest you install the W10 driver (which is really a W8.1 driver) from your notebook's support page, and restart the PC.

The reason your audio doesn't work so good with the generic driver is that it doesn't have the Beats Audio enhancements the HP driver has.

Most forum members that have your model notebook reported success by installing the driver on the support page.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you are having issues with the generic MS driver, I suggest you install the W10 driver (which is really a W8.1 driver) from your notebook's support page, and restart the PC.

The reason your audio doesn't work so good with the generic driver is that it doesn't have the Beats Audio enhancements the HP driver has.

Most forum members that have your model notebook reported success by installing the driver on the support page.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much. That did the trick.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.