Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion g6-2221tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop is about 8 years old, it's an HP pavilion, with an i5 processor, for a while the laptop wasn't turning on. I hardly use my laptop so I didn't try to resolve the issue. I used to use the recovery CD a few times and after a few failed attempts it would prompt remove the cd and reboot and the laptop works fine until next power off. So thinking it would resolve the issue I downloaded the windows 10 os from the Microsoft app and made a bootable USB and installed, everything was fine until I tried to restart the system. that's when I started getting this No bootable device found. To my understanding since I have upgraded to windows 10, the old recovery cd isn't working anymore. the error is persisting.

Things I have already tried:

I tried the CD and tried to reset to factory settings, it didn't work error: hard drive not available

I tried to reinstall windows using the USB but now it says no Hard drive found.

I tried the F2 and tried the two options,

1. memory test that passed

2. hard drive test didn't even work, it said smart check not Installed & short DST: not installed.

I tried the hard reset, It didn't work either.

kindly advise me about what I should do next, to resolve the issue.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi
First:- Turn off the computer, press and hold the PWR button for 4 seconds.

Then - Leave only keyboard and mouse connected, disconnect all externally connected
devices such as Docking Station, USB storage devices, displays, and printers.
Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

Next - Press and Hold the Power button for 15 seconds to Hard Reset.
Rinse and Repeat; Re-Connect the AC adapter.

NOW begin checking/testing/proving the Hardware is fit for purpose.
Power on your PC, press ESC (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).

Then if the hardware passes test you can try to install an OS.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply, Little Boy Blue. I did the hard reset and when I hit ESC and F2, I don't see system test I am able to see only this.

Version 1.6.0.0 - BIOS

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/PCDIags

Memory Test

Hard Drive Check

Language

Exit

Please advice.

HP Recommended

Hi

8 years old?  CMOS/RTC battery?

http://www.bios-chip24.com/Tools-Battery

It is possible the BIOS has defaulted to factory settings.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.