Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion g6-1160sj
Microsoft Windows XP

so i have my computer for quite a while, as u can see from the subject of the topic, and after a while i havnt been using it, i tried to turn it on, but most of the time, what happens is that it doesnt boot up, and there are 5 blinks from the caps lock, which means a motherboard problem.

anyway i can fix the computer?  i really dont want to buy a new one, because i need it for simple stuff, like writing in a forum etc.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@yarons1994 

Before you spend any money to attempt to replace the HP motherboard, you need to understand the issues involved with doing that.

First, HP does not sell new motherboards except for rare exceptions. If you use this link to go to the HP site and do NOT see your motherboard listed, that means HP does not sell it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6c00-Entertainment-Notebook-PC-series/5191856/mo...

That means any motherboard you buy will be USED, having been taken from another PC. Those often do not work, or have internal problems that the seller does not disclose. So you spend a lot of time disassembling your laptop -- a very risky thing to do -- putting in the replacement motherboard, and then reassembling your laptop only to NOT have it work!

Also, the licensed Windows version that came preloaded on your laptop is an HP OEM Version -- and that license is tied to the original motherboard, not to the PC owner. When you toss away that motherboard, you toss away the license -- and HP will not provide you a second license. Since the versions of Windows you can buy will not activate with the embedded HP OEM license, you will have to buy a Retail version of Windows, and a license to go with it. You will then have to replace the installed Windows version on your laptop with the version you bought and license it. We are not able to assist in any of that work.

The bottom line is the process is a lot more difficult than simply swapping one part for another.

And finally, you claim that your laptop is running Windows XP, but HP and others have not carried recovery media for that for years now and MS no longer supplies it, either.  So, it's going to be virtually impossible for you to find a place where you can get install media for Windows XP today.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

is there something i can do try and isolate the source of the problem?

HP Recommended

@yarons1994 

Basically, no -- because HP does not provide motherboard-level diagnostics, so there is no way to check out individual components to isolate the problem.  Also, HP does not fix motherboards, so they don't need that kind of tool.

In fact, I'm not aware of anywhere that fixed motherboards -- as they are too complex -- and the only places that have such diagnostics are the third-party motherboard manufacturers, and they do not repair motherboards.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.