Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp 6735b
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
A general system board failure (Blink code 5) is the failure of a component not covered by the other LED error codes. Contact HP for assistance.
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
The notebook is not booting. Showing error. Blinking light caps and nums 5 times. Please help.
HP Recommended

I also cannot boot & just get a blank screen with num & caps lock flashing 5 times. I keep powering on & off. Eventually the system boots. 5 blinks indicate a general system failure. However, when the system finally booted, I went into BIOS diagnostics. I did a complete system check and this showed NO failure. Can't understand what is going on. Any ideas out there please? 

HP Recommended

The same thing happened to me on an HP ProBook. This is what I did.

First go into BIOS F2 & do system checks - Run Time, Hdd, Memory etc. This was all clear for me & so no problems there.

1)  Computer off - take out battery  - unplug A/C.

2)  Press power button on & leave finger on button for 30 secs.

3)  Replace battery & A/C.

4)  Power on & screen should boot.

If it doesn't.

Repeat steps 1 - 4  as above but leave finger on power button for 1 minute.

No joy?

Repeat again but leave finger on power button for 2 mins.

This is the 30sec- 1min - 2min procedure and usualy works for 50% of cases.

Hope this helps as it did for me & my machine is about 5yrs old now! 

HP Recommended
Any idea what this actually does?
HP Recommended

Had the same issue, spent MONTHS looking into it, all in vain, turns out a CMOS battery was the cause, less than 2 year life on these now? Jeeze HP, quality is slacking BAAAAD

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.