Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 14-an010na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a new HP Notebook - 14-an010na. When powering on, the HP logo appears and Windows appears to be starting but then a blue screen appears with the message ACPI BIOS ERROR. The system then performs an automatic restart and Windows starts successfully. On analyzing the relevant dump file, it states the problem is caused by the driver ACPI.sys (ACPI Driver for NT).

I have performed a hard reset and also re-installed the latest BIOS from HP but the blue screen continues to appear. This is not preventing me from using the notebook but it's prolonging the startup time which is cumbersome.

What are the best steps to troubleshoot/solve this error?

Thanks

Further info:

Caused by driver: ACPI.sys

Caused by address: ACPI.sys+46ec4

File Description: ACPI Driver for NT

Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+1a9690

On Sun 06/01/2019 16:18:42 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\010619-51953-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: acpi.sys (ACPI+0x46EC4)
Bugcheck code: 0xA5 (0x1000, 0x0, 0x7F00000, 0x4)
Error: ACPI_BIOS_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\acpi.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: ACPI Driver for NT
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) BIOS of the computer is not fully compliant with the ACPI specification.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in a Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Corbomite1

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Support Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand there's an issue with the ACPI BIOS error.

Appreciate you trying the steps. Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Let's try these steps -

1) In Windows, search for and open View advanced system settings.
2) In the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
3) Under System Failure, remove the check mark next to automatically restart, and then click OK.
4) Restart the computer to apply the change.

Also, try updating the computer -

Step 1 Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Click on this link to run Windows Updates troubleshooter.

Step 2 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 3 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue still persists, test the Hard Drive -

1) Shutdown the computer. 
2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3) Press F2 once. 
4) Go to Component test. 
5) From the list, run the Hard Drive (extensive) test. 

Hope this helps!

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the  "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day ahead 🙂

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi. None of the recent BIOS updates work. I’m going to attempt installing an older version. I notice at least 4 updates since mid 2018, so obviously HP is having issues with the BIOS. Any idea of next steps?

thanks

HP Recommended

Tried updating BIOS with older version, but obviously it tells me its not compatible. Will await a new and improved BIOS from HP mk 6...

HP Recommended

@Asmita6658

What is the purpose of disabling the automatic restart? Won't this mean the machine will just hang at the blue screen and need to be restarted manually?

Can you explain how disabling the automatic restart will help to solve the issue. The problem seems to be an issue with the BIOS as the other poster has outlined.

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Corbomite1

Those steps were just to capture the exact code or error. 

Have you tried the other steps? Did that help? 

Let me know.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The error message I get 'DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL"

i also try to install the latest BIOS update and it fails because "Unable to open BIOS Signature file"

Rather than instructions to defeat the auto reboot feature, I'd like for HP to address the root problem with the BIOS update (Ryzen 5 Envy laptop).  It seems they haven't cracked it, per the almost monthly issues of patches since mid 2017.

Any news on fixing the BIOS?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@JohnB1958

Thanks for getting back to us. I'd suggest you reach out to the Phone Support team in your region.  I have sent you a Private Message with the details.

Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it. Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just to clarify:

I have a HP Envy laptop, not a printer.

Luckily you guys designed the laptop to be able to work despite these issues, which in the case of Windows 10, seem to be often.

So I will continue as is until a new BIOS update appears.  Judging from the past records, it won't be long.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.