Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I desperately need help.  I got laid off recently.  My work place bought back the laptop. With that money I bought the same HP (because I just LOVE HPs) but better version of course. 

I have EliteBook 840 G6, i7, 8GB (should have bought 16 instead).

In any case, not sure how,  but somehow I setup BIOS password, thinking I'm setting up Bitlocker. A few nights ago (I honestly can't remember what and how this happened) my screen saver was on,  I tried to login,  but i couldn't. I tried it 2x. Then I said,  I'll just reboot and start over. 

So after my reboot, the landing page is the BIOS password screen, with white background.  I typed in my password (which I know what it is), it said Enter Password Again. But I know my password, so I'm not sure why it gave me that message. I don't know what happened. Now I can't get into my laptop. 

HP rep said they can't help with BIOS password. I will have to mail my laptop in so they can see what's going on and hopefully be able to fix it.  I will lose everything,  which I'm ok work.  However,  the rep said it may cost me anywhere from $500 to $900. I don't have money like that. I paid $2k for the laptop and that's because work have me that money, otherwise I would have more gotten a laptop at all. 

I desperately need help to see if I can get this fixed my self or if anyone can tell me where to go that will not cost so much.

Any suggestions? Please,  I need help and I really need my laptop to work. 

Thank you for reading my long cry for help. 

-karineh

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@KarBe20 

The situation is that the BIOS password is encrypted into the firmware of the system board -- and HP policy, since that is not reprogrammable, is to replace the system board outright with another one that does not have a BIOS password.  Since that requires a LOT of work in addition to a replacement system board, it costs you a lot to get that done.

You would have to see if a local laptop repair place can help you out in any way with this -- but we are not permitted to assist in this.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi KarBe20

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

Regards. 

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.