Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6936US
Microsoft Windows Vista

Hello. I recently tried upgrading my Dv6936 to Phoenix BIOS update version F. 58 A. This laptop originally ran Phoenix and not Insyde. When I upgraded my laptop from Windows it went through programming 16 blocks and then rebooted itself. The computer turned on to just a black screen. I extracted the BIOS update file from the SP39862 BIOS update for my laptop. The file was a .wph. I tried using WinCrisis on a old Windows XP system with a 256mb USB and it wanted me to enter the project file for the BIOS after I told it to start. Once it started it allowed me to pick the project file but would exit as soon as I clicked ok to do so. I went digging further and found reports saying that I could just copy a few files from WinCrisis but that did not work. I formatted my USB to FAT (not FAT32) and it still didn't work. I put only the BIOS file onto the drive and it still did not work. All of those times the system did not attempt to read the drive. I tried the Win + B and Fn + B on startup but those still resulted in nothing. The system does turn on and power up the optical drive but does nothing more. The HP Tools partition was also nonexistent. I had important stuff on the laptop and I want to keep it running if possible as I cannot find a system board replacement if I needed to.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Kingboo2314 

Online search shows this as  ten year old laptop, and since HP does not support laptops that long, where did you get the BIOS update?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

The laptop is indeed over 10 years old. It’s warranty started in 2008. I found the BIOS update from a site that archives HP download links. The link for the BIOS led to a HP server according to the link. Before I installed the application I did check the certificate of the file along with that of a file released around the same time that I knew I downloaded from HP directly for a laptop that was about as old. The certificates did match and that was why I used it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.