Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 250 G6 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to boot to the BIOS to configure some settings on my laptop. I press F10 at start-up and the BIOS screen appears, but then immediately freezes and plays a series of loud beeps continuously until I turn it off. The laptop works perfectly fine otherwise. Any help appreciated! 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Bios also beeps when you press incorrect key in the menu. Is your keyboard broken or a button pressed for no reason?

HP Recommended

I don't think any of the keys are broken (its less than a year old and hasn't been used much) but I will check later on. Even if there was a button that was unintentionally broken, surely I would still be able to navigate through the bios albeit with constant beeping? 

HP Recommended

Hp bios is like that. If you press incorrect key it beeps and freezes and then after a second you are able to press another key.

So if a key is being pressed, it will keep beeping and wont let you do anything.

If that fails, you could run Pc Diagnostics from within windows.

HP Recommended

I used a keyboard checker to look at my keys. By default, 2 buttons are held down, the function key and some other key next to F12 which I can't find anywhere on the keyboard, screenshot attached. The function key isn't broken but seems to be 'on' by default. So for example if I pressed f8 it will change the volume on my laptop, but holding fn and f8 will do something else. I looked up how to turn this off but most answers seem to direct me to the bios which kinda defeats the whole purpose. I also had a look at the BIOS again and forgot to mention that the first thing that pops up is a message screen asking "exit without changes?", and remains frozen + beeping. I would have thought escape would cause this to pop up but as you can see there aren't any issues with that.  2019-12-19 (4).png

HP Recommended

Bump. I checked the keyboard checker with my desktop and it also shows the same screen as above. So I really don't think my keyboard is broken. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.