Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've seen posts on this board where I can get an unlock code for my HP Laptop. I was given this laptop by a friend who is up in years. He forgot the BIOS password so I'm stuck with a boat anchor. There are some files and pics I know he has fogotten he has so I would like to get them off as well. 

The code I get at the System Disabled screen is:

{ i 59353129 }

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BL19 

The information you have seen is old and out of date.  That is a Disable Code but we're not permitted to provide Disable Code bypasses anymore.

We are not permitted to assist in resetting passwords due to HP Policy.
--------------------
For BIOS or power-on password resets, because the password is encoded onto a chip on the motherboard, replacement of that motherboard is required. HP does not reset the BIOS password on the current motherboard.

If you are not prepared to spend the money to get HP to replace the motherboard, you would have to take the PC to a local repair facility to see if they can do it for you -- but we can not assist in that in any way.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@BL19 

The information you have seen is old and out of date.  That is a Disable Code but we're not permitted to provide Disable Code bypasses anymore.

We are not permitted to assist in resetting passwords due to HP Policy.
--------------------
For BIOS or power-on password resets, because the password is encoded onto a chip on the motherboard, replacement of that motherboard is required. HP does not reset the BIOS password on the current motherboard.

If you are not prepared to spend the money to get HP to replace the motherboard, you would have to take the PC to a local repair facility to see if they can do it for you -- but we can not assist in that in any way.

HP Recommended

Thank You so much for this help in a difficult situation with an Aging father now I'll be able to help him understand why he cannot access his HP Laptop JenniferRI

HP Recommended

Will saved docs & pics be affected when BIOS encryption chip on motherboard is replaced by a tech

HP Recommended

@JenniferRI 

We used to help folks like this, but then HP came down on us really hard for doing it.  Now, all we are allowed to do is quote POLICY.

There are ways you can make bootable USB media that might work in booting the laptop so that you can then access the files and folders that were apparently never backed off -- but you would have to try it and see, and the chances of success are really low.

Let me know if you want to try that and I will provide instructions for making the USB stick.

HP Recommended

TY and I will contact you when I try the USB info

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.