Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite Dragonfly
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just after powering on my notebook, I have to enter a boot password to boot the system. However, if an external display is connected via HDMI port, the BIOS screen (shown on the LCD of the notebook) keeps to repeat turning off momentarily and on, at intervals of several seconds. This prevents me from entering my password. This problem seems to occur only when it connects to a specific display (IOData MF234XBR), as far as I tried displays in my office. I suspect the BIOS fails to use HDMI (possibly due to the HPCP authentication issue or something) and keeps retrying. It does not occur any problem on the screen after Windows starts up. I think this can be a bug of the BIOS.

A support personnel of HP Japan refused to investigate this problem, saying "It is not a problem of the BIOS because it can occur only when it is connected to a specific display." I think this is not an enough evidence.

In addition, the BIOS should cope with such an abnormal condition, at least so that the system would not get completely unusable. For example,  it should stop retrying to use the HDMI display.

Any suggestions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.