Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15-bp101na
Microsoft Windows 11

I recently made two major updates and one of them corrupted my Boot . One of the updates was the newest version of Windows 11 and the other one was a BIOS update from HP's official website.

When I finally restarted my computer It wouldn't boot back up and it got stuck in the blue “Recovery” screen stating: “Your PC/Device needs to be repaired” Error code: 0xc000000f. I couldn't even access the Advanced options menu to try and fix it. When I initially contacted Microsoft support team they just told me to reinstall my OS. I wasn’t really ready to take that step as of yet due to the software installed on my c: drive.

So I tried to fix it myself by creating a “Windows Media USB” and booting it up instead. I finally managed to access the Advanced options menu and tried to fix the issue with the included options but unfortunately nothing seemed to work. I found some instructions online and used the “Command Prompt” to try and fix it that way. Yet again - Nothing.

Later on I noticed that there’s a new entry in the Boot Manager.

OS boot Manager (UEFI) - Windows Boot Manager (Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500) (Default)

OS boot Manager (UEFI) - Windows Boot Manager (Samsung MZNLN128HAHQ-000) (New)

1)Is my (c:) drive and it obviously holds my Windows (Does not Boot)

2)Is my (d:) drive and it just holds my data files. (Does Boot) I had a look at my BIOS settings but it’s quite basic, so I can’t even change the default for this.

As of right now I can turn on my computer and it works just fine. But every time I want to turn it on I have to do it through Boot Manager.

Microsoft team said: Error code 0xc000000f is the corrupted Boot Manager which is not able to locate the BCD (Boot Configuration Database) file in the system.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@DavisWhite,

Ok so, if you let your laptop start up itself, it tries to boot from Samsung 128 GB SSD with error 0xc000000f, but you can manually boot into Samsung EVO SSD via F9 Boot Option Menu. 

Windows Boot Manager uses BCD file, which resides in efi partition, which is a small hidden partition usually 100 MB or so in size. When the Windows is installed to a hard drive, efi partition is also created which makes the Windows bootable. You are saying Samsung 128 SSD is a data drive, but it may now have  efi partition. you can run Disk Management to find out what's on the drive. Can you post a screenshot of the Disk management?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.