Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-dw1081wm

Hello,

I have an HP 15-dw1081wm to which I downloaded a BIOS/Firmware update (HP Firmware Pack (Intel Processors) F.58 Rev.A at 79.8 MB released on Dec 16th, 2022). I went through the installer and it had restarted the computer and the computer never turned back on (black screen). When I press the power button, I hear the hard drive spin up and white lights show up but screen does not come on. I have researched and performed a number of troubleshooting steps, such as holding Win+B and pressing power for 3 seconds and letting go continuing to hold Win+B for 40 seconds. I did this same step pressing Win+V.

I downloaded a recovery USB but nothing ever comes up on the screen. I hooked up multiple accessories such as a USB Keyboard, HDMI TV thinking maybe the built in keyboard wasn't working or it would output to a TV but nothing. I started to notice that it does not seem as if any USB or IO is communicating with the computer in any way, this likely is true for any video out, keyboard, SD cards, USB A and C ports. Nothing appears to be communicating with the machine at all. I have taken the hard drive out to test it in an external reader on another computer and I was able to fully communicate with the hard drive. This tells me that it does not seem the HP computer is even communicating with the SATA ports.

It appears as though this BIOS/Firmware update completely bricked my device. It's obviously out of warranty - am I just SOL unless I buy another MoBo?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Does yor laptop boot from external drive? USB, SSD?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.