Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6-1d60US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi --

Really hoping someone can help! Upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 on HP Pavilion g6-1d60US as last resort to solve massive slowness issues that started after I started running Adobe Creative Cloud/Photoshop about a month ago. Progressively worse over time.

Installed the upgrade, and right at the end a message came on that my BIOS were being changed/upgraded, and saw a screen scroll thru that quickly.

After upgrade, still having problems. So I deleted all programs that are more in the app-based design -- all Adobe streaming from online account, Chrome, Dropbox, Drive. Also deleted printers, Sophos virus protection. Ran a scan with Windows Defender. Emptied trash, rebooted, did a hard boot and all other suggested fixes.

Now, once it loads, it acts fine. (Now. But I don't want to reload any software until I feel it's healed.) But each start-up causes a Blue Screen -- hanging up about 7-8 seconds in, then gets stuck awhile. Loads after several minutes.

Note: None of the HP-suggested function boots (F11, F2) that were suggested to try something work as layed out in Troubleshooting articles. It causes the Windows load to begin with a Windows 7 appearance, and then completely different screens and options come up than the ones described in Troubleshooter.

It's like a few seconds of load are Win7, then death, then Win10.

The BIOS replacement seems to be logical to me.

However, ALSO my processor is: AMD A4-330M APU with Radeon HD graphics, 2 cores, 2 logical processors. Troubleshooter says to make sure my BIOS update is good for processor.

The HP Assistant says my BIOS is F.49

Windows doesn't state the BIOS on the screen that HP Assistant said to look, but I found under System Information Summary, that says: BIOS Mode: Legacy

Also, in the Device Manager, under System Devices, I find a:  Microsoft System Management BIOS Driver. In properties, it says version 10.0.14393.0 (ns1_release/160715-1616)

It says installed 6/21/2006

I have options to update drivers, but I'm scared to. To me, it seems there are conflicting BIOS things happening as it is.

I also have the option reinstall the upgrade to Windows 10. But it will delete all programs related to many of the devices that are part of the computer itself -- AMD, screen, keyboard. Scared I wouldn't be able to see or interact at all.

The kicker is that all of this set in motion by Photoshop (I think), combined with Windows updates this week. I also heard MS is no longer supporting Win 7, as of this week. So maybe all related. And I am now several days behind deadline for the project that caused me to join Creative Cloud/Photoshop to begin with.

Does anyone have an idea? EXTREMELY GRATEFUL IF SO! WILL MAIL BROWNIES! 🙂

Kristin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@KC_Sound_Living

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand you need assistance in upgrading from the windows 7 to windows 10 and re having issues with the various drivers,

Thank you for describing your concern in a way that doesn't require any further questions, although, that said I looked up your product specifications and found the OS supplied by HP was: Windows 7 home premium and upgrading to windows 10 isn't' possible unless you've made use of a retail version of the windows and I'm afraid that is not supported by HP.

Unfortunately, I can only help you once you’re back on OEM,

If you need assistance obtaining a recovery media, please Click here for the details.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@KC_Sound_Living

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand you need assistance in upgrading from the windows 7 to windows 10 and re having issues with the various drivers,

Thank you for describing your concern in a way that doesn't require any further questions, although, that said I looked up your product specifications and found the OS supplied by HP was: Windows 7 home premium and upgrading to windows 10 isn't' possible unless you've made use of a retail version of the windows and I'm afraid that is not supported by HP.

Unfortunately, I can only help you once you’re back on OEM,

If you need assistance obtaining a recovery media, please Click here for the details.

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi Riddle_Decipher,

Thanks so much for taking time to respond to my flare across the bow!🔥😉 And thank you for the link also. Yes, I've reinvented the wheel on my end, to come to the same conclusion.

Lordy ... Yes, after another couple days gnashing of teeth, technology hamster-wheel-from-hell ... I learned my GPU just can't deal with this stuff. I'm just grateful I still have hair, lol!

I did have Windows "restore" Win 7, having FINALLY discovered obscure pages on both Windows and Adobe sites confirming that my AMD graphics processor doesn't run EITHER program, and AMD not updating to Win 10. HP same -it's probably just too unstable at that generation, and both companies have enough newer systems to stay on top of.

You know, I really think both Windows and Adobe should clearly discuss graphics cards and processors on same page they talk about system requirements. Both sites said I exceeded the minimum system requirements.

So now I have a "restored" paperweight, basically. Think the term I see it there is "brick?" Yes, it qualifies, haha. At 3 am the other night, I just finally screamed UNCLE and ordered a tablet. I will continue lighting incense to appease the Technology God I have so angered, and continue trying to restore it as I have time. My little ole laptop just wasn't meant to do these things! (In retrospect, I'm amazed it handled my abuse for as long as it did ‼️)

So the rewind to 7 appears to have disabled about 40 necessary services. I now can't get it to the internet or run ANY system and trouble shooting tools. I managed to get a bunch turned back on last night, a couple good reboots, but still some say things are missing or "not ready."

I'm going to let it rest for a couple days so we can have a little time-out from each other, then will try putting all drivers from HP on a flash from a different computer, and see if I can coax it back from trauma.

Thank you again for your help and support -really appreciate. Hey, you said you work with HP - perhaps you could tell the proper channels that a note on the Drivers/Downloads page for this system stating clearly that the AMD cards won't be able to handle Win 10 might save someone else the week I just lost. I don't know, though. I'm pretty **bleep** stubborn - probably wouldn't have believed it myself, lol! 😁

Maybe our exchange here will help someone else, also. Take care!! I'll let you know if the shock treatment restores it's little mind, lol! 😀👍👍🍰🥂🎖😀😀 Kristin
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.