07-15-2019 04:46 AM
I purchased my HP ENVY in May, 2018. Interestingly, just out of warranty, I find about 2 months ago that when I am using the laptop without being plugged in and then close it up, even if the battery capacity is high, whenever I come back, the system will not reboot without being plugged in. I have tried to put the computer to 'sleep' before closing - it still doesn't boot up when I try. I've even 'shutdown' and come back and not been able to boot up. It will only boot if I plug the system in.
Can you please advise what's wrong?
07-15-2019 11:15 AM - edited 07-15-2019 11:17 AM
The battery may be in need of replacement or perhaps might benefit from calibration (if the battery has not failed).
Information / Tests
HP Community thread on the subject
Article that explains Smart Battery Technology
Battery use and care, how batteries perform over time, and expected battery life
Battery having trouble?
- If the “not charging” issue is (only) apparent when the system is running hot (or near that point), the battery and charge system are likely overheated as well – the charge system will resume operation when the computer cools down. Short Version: An overheated battery / computer / charging-system will not charge the battery – this is normal behavior.
- The battery might be OK and just need calibration (balance / set).
The steps to check / calibrate / replace the battery are included in this document:
And / Or
Document includes information and link for testing the hardware using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) (preferred method) and / or using the HP Support Assistant to test the battery.
Tips for extending / improving battery service
Documents and Reference
This document is for HP notebook PCs that have a removable battery.
If the adapter fails it will not power the notebook.
Recalls and Advisories
Be sure to check your computer’s Website Support for relevant advisories and bulletins
The battery might be on a Recall list - devices / components eligible for Recall replacement are not subject to warranty status.
"Fat" Battery / Swollen Battery
- If you determine that you need to purchase a battery, AC adapter, or power cord for your computer, check for the part(s) in HP PartSurfer.
- If / When you know the battery type / part number, check for the battery at the Parts Store
- If the part is not available from HP, use your search engine to search for the part in your region.
Find your Product
- Open Support Home
- Enter the full model name
- When the website opens, select category Product Information
- Look for the Specifications for your computer
- The Product number may be listed in the Specifications document
Find your computer Serial Number
Find your part number
The part number you seek may be in the Maintenance and Service Guide
- Open Support Home
- Enter the full model name
- When the website opens, select category User Guides
- Look for the Maintenance and Service guide for your computer
- The part numbers are listed in the component section (wording varies)
Check for parts at the PartSurfer Website
- Select your Country
- Enter the device Product Number, Serial Number, or Part Number in the Quick Search box
- HINT: To see a system-specific list, replace the Product Number with your device Serial Number
- Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart column are available for purchase
NOTE >> Parts marked as "n/a" are not available from HP.
Example - Country set to Australia an Product Number 3DB09PAR
|921438-855||ASSY-BATT 6C 53Wh 2.55Ah LI AB06053XL-PL|
Parts marked as available for purchase might be available from: HP Parts Store
Use your search engine to find the part number at your favorite online store.
Page 5 - AC adapter and battery light (item 3)
Page 18 - Battery and part numbers
Pate 33 - Battery Replacement and part numbers
Still need help? Want more information? Search for solutions...
Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device
NOTE: Content depends on device type
Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more
Want to contact HP Technical Support?
HP Technical Support - HP Contact Information
- Use the serial number of the device to submit the case (do not post that information on the Community).
- Chat is not available in every region. In those areas where Chat is an option, Chat service hours are likely restricted. In the event that Chat is not available in your region: Call the number provided in the HP directory, else submit your case online (to receive phone contact information)
- HP will advise you there is a fee for phone support and / or other services when your computer / device is no longer under warranty. This is normal business practice.
- HP may tell you that certain services are not covered under warranty. This is normal business practice. Standard Warranty typically covers specific hardware issues as explained in the Warranty contract. Care Pack coverage and warranties differ by package.
- If the HP Contact (phone) number is not immediately provided: Contact information is displayed on your screen after you submit your case online.
- HP websites are the only ones allowed to use the HP copyright circle/logo. Look for the copyright on any website claiming to be HP. If in doubt, scroll to the bottom of the Website to find HP copyright logo.
“Everywhere” Contact Information - HP Technical Support
Select your region and follow the prompts
Option: Contact HP Technical Support - Regions
USA / Canada
Submit information / case online: Contact HP Support – Assistance Portal
- Sign in or continue as a guest
- For faster support, submit information / case online HP Customer Support UK
- Contact Phone: Contact HP UK – Phone Assist
Option - HP Support is on Facebook!
Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.
We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.
Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!
Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.