Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp mini 1000
Microsoft Windows XP
A friend of mine has given me her netbook that she had sitting in a box for over a year because she didn't know what the bios password was. I have the box it came with when it was brand new and everything. I can't get into the actual bios or the os because it has a password that no one seems to know. Is there away to reset this or get around and or get rid of it? Anything helps because I have no idea what to do with this thing.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Enter this code for the BIOS password...the 3rd character from the left is a lower case 'L'

e9lo37g62a

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Enter any BIOS password 3 times, and the PC should generate a system disabled (halt) code.

Then read the first post at the link below for what to do with the halt code you received from the PC.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Sy​stem-and-Recovery/System-Halt-Error-Message-or-BI...

HP Recommended
I have a code, but I went to that page and it said I didn't have sufficient permissions.
HP Recommended

Hi:

Please post the code you got...

HP Recommended
CNU9126VPT
HP Recommended

Hi:

Enter this code for the BIOS password...the 3rd character from the left is a lower case 'L'

e9lo37g62a

HP Recommended
Ok, that worked, and I got rid of the password pop up in the bios, now it says : Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.
Should I just install a new OS?
HP Recommended

Yes, it sounds like the operating system is badly corrupted, or the hard drive may be bad too.

If there is a hard drive diagnostics menu in the BIOS, run that and see what it reports.

You can try starting windows in safe mode by tapping the F8 key immediately after the HP welcome screen disappears.

HP Recommended
Just tried safe mode and last know good configuration and nothing worked, guess I'll go see if I can get Windows 7 on a flash drive
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.