Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre 13-v105na
Hi,

My laptop is under a month old and was working perfectly until it ran an update last night. I've turned it on this morning, the start up is fine. When I log in I've got a black screen and a cursor. I've tried to press F11 and esc on start up to follow some diagnoses I found online but nothing happens, it gets to the log in page like normal.

Please can someone offer any advice asap?

Thanks
Claire
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

what OS?   windows 10? ok read your support page, it came w10-64b day 1.

f11 is recovery , reload W10 if PC came new with W10 did it?>

F11 does NOT work in windows, ever, only for 0 to 3 seconds power on (windows of time)

power key press, f11, hammer it, and bam, rescovery. mode.

if you can log in , does , TASK manager (TM) work.?   if does the OS is running ok.

Control + ALT+ DEL = TM. at any time

and the Desk top APPL is dead. 

called explorer.exe is missing in the left side TM at the bottom call OP system processes.

if its messing then hit file, run new task, find

C:\windows\explorer.exe and run that , bam desktop back.

when you power on, fan runs,

the screen shows,  hit ESC to enter SETUP (did it? does it, it must, and of not the screen is dead)

it did that from new, day1,  so you should know that.

then The esc key works and F1 then F9 or F10 or what it tell you works in BIOS

does BIOS screens all look good, yes, good,  that means PC is NOT DEAD.  (the OS is a total other matter)

please tell what nothing means.

• fan dead?
  • screen does not every show text ,ever.?
  • BIOS dead?  all screens in BIOS dead?
  • login works or not.? and its screen is that screen there or works? does it? every time.
  • task manager works or not.?

just what it does now, not before, all pc ran new ok.

please and thank you.

for some , nothing only means, OS dead-ONLY, so boot to linux live stick.  see PC is not dead.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

if under warranty or not wanting to DEAL with complexity

go to bottom of screen below and click contact HP.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended
Thanks, all sorted now, I actually ended up doing a complete Windows reset as I really couldn't wait for somebody to fix it... scary to know a lot of hp laptops experiencing the same problem though!
HP Recommended

Resolving the black screen issue caused by Windows 10 update

If you have previously disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Click Start and type Services
  3. Open desktop app Services and find App Readiness
  4. Open the service and set Startup type to Manual
  5. Click Apply and close the window
  6. Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  7. Reboot PC

If you have not disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Wait 15-20 minutes for the boot process to complete and desktop to load
  3. Once on desktop, Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  4. Reboot PC
I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

this is a solved post

he F11 ' fix it, already.

HP Recommended

@savvy2

It may well be a solved post, but (a) I didn't know about it until I was notified by email, so I'm grateful to FunctionONE for the info and (b) I don't know what your comment "he F11 ' fix it" means.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.