Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

OK - HP/Microsoft have offically screwed the pooch big time on this one.

I've had this issue with 2 laptops that cleints initially configured.  Perhaps something they did?

Today they gave me a third identical laptop, still in the box, fresh off the shelves of MicroCenter yesterday.

I did the whole setup by the book.  Updated the BIOS and HP's suggested 2 apps, told Windows to check for updates and BANG - exactly like the prior machines, this one takes 31 seconds after entering the password to juggle the balls and then goes into the black screen with live cursor (ctrl-alt-del brings up the short menu, task mananger comes up) until 7 minutes have passed since passowrd entry - then wallpaper, icons, task bar, and normal operations.

I'll try the reported solution.  If it fails, all three machines are back to MicroCenter in the morning.

Did HP, before the split, do Equifax's Web site or was it Microsoft?

HP Recommended

Disabling "App Readiness" seems to have worked on the most recent machine.

Perhaps HP and Microsoft should have a chat about their OEM relationship.

Some customers seem to think that multi-billion dollar multi-national corporations that sell a combination of hardware and software as a "computer" actually have a clue about what they are both doing.

HP Recommended

just had a call from a client

the problem is back

I just google it and it looks like "App Readiness" problem been there for years

HP Recommended

The eternal battle between hardware and software!

I am a meat popsicle.
HP Recommended

the problem is that it happens out of the box
HP puts lots of additional software, but not the fix

what's the point of HP assist?

HP Recommended

I've had the machine for 3 weeks and it crapped out as mentioned. Disabled "App Readiness" and at the initial restart, all appears well.

This was among the last straws for me. I was about to throw the thing away and go off grid. We'll see about tomorrow.

Incidentally, why is not a single machine built to last anymore?

HP Recommended

Resolving the black screen issue caused by Windows 10 update

If you have previously disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Click Start and type Services
  3. Open desktop app Services and find App Readiness
  4. Open the service and set Startup type to Manual
  5. Click Apply and close the window
  6. Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  7. Reboot PC

If you have not disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Wait 15-20 minutes for the boot process to complete and desktop to load
  3. Once on desktop, Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  4. Reboot PC
I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

FunctionONE:  Thanks so much for your post! 

I've been pulling out my hair after my 2 week old HP machine started having this problem.  I tried using CCleaner on the registry; ran System File Checker with no problems showing; monkeyed with all the desktop settings; checked running processes to see if something was hogging resources with no joy; disabled one by one the startup items to see if anything there was causing the problem; and finally posted the issue on the MS support forums (where they were going to have me run in Safe Mode to try to find the problem).

After seeing your info about the HP Image Enhancement for System Logon update I opened up my HP Support Assistant and checked for any new updates.  Sure enough this new download was there.

Got it and rebooted the machine.  Eureka!  No more 8 minute wait for my desktop to appear after login!!

Man, I was nearly at the point of giving up on the new box and going back to my old XP system!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.