Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp spectre x2
Microsoft Windows XP
I have the same issue I've seen others posting about, but have yet to see an answer better than hard resetting the laptop, which just doesn't seem like the best solution.
My screen will go black if I don't touch the track pad every two seconds. It goes black with the cursor visible and capable of moving. I have to hard reset my computer probably a dozen times a day when I'm working on it. I tried changing my settings so the screen never sleeps, but that hasn't worked either.
This drives me nuts and I'm probs never going to buy HP ever again. No offense.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey, I had the same problem and tried with atleast 8 other people to fix it. I thought it was my computer, it HP's update

We have three options

1: Return Return the Computer( Hp Pavilion 14 bk061st to Staples)

2:According to my friend, install a clean version of windows 10 with usb

3: Reset and never update to this version of windows 10

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey, I had the same problem and tried with atleast 8 other people to fix it. I thought it was my computer, it HP's update

We have three options

1: Return Return the Computer( Hp Pavilion 14 bk061st to Staples)

2:According to my friend, install a clean version of windows 10 with usb

3: Reset and never update to this version of windows 10

HP Recommended

I'm confused.  Your post claims the PC is running XP, you can return it to Staples, and an USB clean install of Windows 10 might fix it.  I find it hard for these three statements to apply to the same system.  Did you miss the drop-down about what OS you were using, resulting in the XP Tag?

Why, even with that given, is it an HP update and not a Windows update that kills the machine?  I'm willing to believe that HP's update stream might clash with Microsoft's, but otherwise I fail to follow.

HP Recommended

This is a windows update issue!!

Disabling app readiness service does indeed solve this problem,  (no need for a clean boot)Untitled.png

This is still just a work around though and once microsoft has fixed the problem we should all remember to re-enable the service (it does sound kinda important if you create a new user)

HP Recommended

Resolving the black screen issue caused by Windows 10 update

If you have previously disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Click Start and type Services
  3. Open desktop app Services and find App Readiness
  4. Open the service and set Startup type to Manual
  5. Click Apply and close the window
  6. Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  7. Reboot PC

If you have not disabled App Readiness

1. Boot the PC
  2. Wait 15-20 minutes for the boot process to complete and desktop to load
  3. Once on desktop, Download and install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon - http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.exe
  4. Reboot PC
I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.