Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
15-ba113cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The laptop cap light blinks 3 long blinks over and over. tried to reset the Bios with a USB flash drive and didn't work. the screen remains black. I am thinking the MB is probably bad but would like another opinion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bookstore1369 

This blink code has nothing to do with the BIOS, so forcing a reset of that is a waste of time.

This code generally means one or all of the memory modules have failed.

If your laptop has an access panel, then open it, remove the memory sticks and replace them with new ones that are known to work.

If this does not fix the issue, or if there is no access panel, then you are looking at paying dearly to have the laptop disassembled to extract and check the memory modules and of those are then OK, the motherboard would be the issue and replacing that, if possible, can cost more than simply replacing the laptop.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@bookstore1369 

This blink code has nothing to do with the BIOS, so forcing a reset of that is a waste of time.

This code generally means one or all of the memory modules have failed.

If your laptop has an access panel, then open it, remove the memory sticks and replace them with new ones that are known to work.

If this does not fix the issue, or if there is no access panel, then you are looking at paying dearly to have the laptop disassembled to extract and check the memory modules and of those are then OK, the motherboard would be the issue and replacing that, if possible, can cost more than simply replacing the laptop.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.