Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion 15t
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

When I try to start up my laptop that’s almost exactly 2 years old, I keep getting this message saying Boot Device Not Found.

10D83842-7C86-409E-8D47-2E5944B61838.jpeg

I figured it could be the hard drive so I did a hard drive test. It passed both the Smart Test and the long 2-hour test. According to the laptop, nothing is wrong with my hard drive.

E02A0E28-7EE4-48AF-984C-3073C94DD133.jpeg

The issue began about two nights ago. I was up late listening to music on YouTube, when suddenly a blue screen with a sad face popped up for about 2 seconds. Then the whole laptop shut off.

In the past, I’ve gotten the blue screen of death. But this was different. Instead of the blue screen with the sad face staying, the whole laptop turned off and stayed off. I turned it back on to be greeted with a black screen and old fashioned command prompt font saying Boot Device Not Found. 

How can I fix this? My laptop is practically new and my warranty ran up last month.

(For some reason my photos won’t upload on here)

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I'm having this same issue.  I think it was triggered by some recent updates HP FORCED ME TO RUN. 

My laptop is just over 2 years old, also a 15t so out of warranty.  

Occasionally when I try to boot, it kicks me over to the HP Recovery menu. 

All the options to auto-fix or restore earlier system statuses return error messages.  I'm at a loss how to proceed.  I've followed the restore BIOS and reboot battery instructions that HP's "virtual assistant" recommended to no avail.  This is so frustrating.  What a piece of junk.  

HP Recommended

@Katykloud9 @dave273

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• Step 1: Perform a hard reset  (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 
  • Step 2: Restore BIOS default settings
  • Step 3: Test the hard drive using HP PC Hardware Diagnostics
  • Step 4: Reseat the hard drive
  • Step 5: Perform an HP System Recovery
  • Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01443463 to complete the troubleshooting steps. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks, the Hard reset worked this time.  I think I didn't hold the power button down long enough last time I tried it. I think other instructions I followed only said 10 seconds, but these said 15.  that did the trick.

HP Recommended

@dave273

Thank you for posting back.

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Okay, so... it did it again.  I will reboot and follow the instructions again, but I'm hoping there's a more permanent solution?  

I had a crash earlier today that provided a QR code and the error message "Critical Process Died"...  performance was spotty thereafter, and I left my laptop alone for a few minutes, and when I returned, it was back to the screen prompt informing me that there was no boot file.  

I'm wondering if there's some other software I'm running that's not compatible with this more recent update, and if so, how I identify what it is and solve for that?

HP Recommended

@dave273

I understand your concerns. 

Please perform the hard drive test.

Hard Drive test 

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  

3) Press F2 once.  

4) Go to Component test.  

5) From the list, run the Hard Drive (extensive) test.  

If the test is passed, you have to perform the system recovery.

I would suggets you perform the cloud recovery.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Okay, I was able to get the laptop semi-functional again by repeating the steps 1 & 2 of this customer support document.  I was still having A LOT of problems, with previously functional third party software returning error messages saying it needed to be reinstalled, and other performance issues.  

I performed the "Hard Drive Test" and it stopped after 30 seconds and gave me an error message:

1. Failure ID: Q4QALK-953A7T-XD7W3G-60R903. 

I also received a QR code, and when I scan it, it basically sends me to a site that says "HP Hard Drive check has identified a critical failure in your system that requires a repair."  Then it directs me to service centers.  GREAT.

I'm still skeptical of all this; when I performed the quick memory check before the reboot, it told me there was no hard drive installed, which is obviously not true.   And I had this problem once before, again after installing required software updates that HP didn't give me the option to wait on.  

I really hope this is not a software issue that can be repaired remotely before I go spend money and time taking my laptop to a service center.   I apparently no longer have the option to even pay for additional support service from HP, so I'm left to my own devices (no pun intended).  

HP Recommended

@dave273

It seems like the HDD has gone bad with a failure code 303. 

Please reach out to the HP Technical Support team in your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.