Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion TouchSmart
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have spent several hours attempting to fix this issue, and it only started because I shut down my laptop to give it a breather once I saw it start to get slow and stuff.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you click on Troubleshoot does it open a screen where  Recovery Manager is an option? If so click it to open. Then you should have a System Recovery to reinstall Windows.

The message you get from System Diagnostics does confirm a bad hdd. Any hdd can fail at any time. If you are still within the 1 yr warranty period HP will replace it. If not retail hdd can be used.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Sounds like the hard drive has failed and will have to be replaced. The earlier symptoms you had can be an early indication and now the message you are getting seems to confirm.

Immediately after powering on start tapping the Esc key. This should open a menu where you can tap F2 to run System Diagnostics.

HP Recommended
I have yet to reseat the hard drive, so I'll attempt that before letting my parents know of any expenses.
HP Recommended

Reseating it to be sure of a secure connection is a good step. It doesn't happen often but a hdd can loose good connection during transporting,etc. Did you try running the F2 System Diagnostics to test the hdd?

HP Recommended
Reseating the HDD yielded the same results. It runs the automatic repairing process, and then ends me off at a blue screen with the Windows 10 font and style, with 4 options; Continue, Use A Device, Troubleshoot, and Turn Off Your PC. I am not even getting the Boot device missing screen anymore, it just starts loading the repairing process.
HP Recommended
Update: Quick checking the hard drive had both areas passed, but the extensive check said that the smart check, along with the Long DSt was not installed. Time for a new HDD? Why does this happen? I need a good reason for why this happens.
HP Recommended

If you click on Troubleshoot does it open a screen where  Recovery Manager is an option? If so click it to open. Then you should have a System Recovery to reinstall Windows.

The message you get from System Diagnostics does confirm a bad hdd. Any hdd can fail at any time. If you are still within the 1 yr warranty period HP will replace it. If not retail hdd can be used.

HP Recommended
It gives me two options

Reset this PC

And then Advanced options
•System Restore
•System Image Recovery
•Startup repair
•Command Prompt
•UEFI Firmware Settings
•Startup setting
HP Recommended
Yeah, it happens I guess. I'll just use a car analogy and hope they aren't too mad, thanks for the help.
HP Recommended

The one bright side to replacing hdd with a retail hdd is longer warranty. For instance a Western Digital Blue usually has a 3 yr warranty and a Western Digital Black has 5 yr warranty. Othe manufacturers have similiar warranties.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.