Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 13-ag0004ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After clearing hard drive i can't load/install windows from gpt, it's okay with linux, but not windows. Same problem with hp cloud recovery tool, i can load it only in legacy mode and can't continue recovery coz of gpt. First time i got problem like this and dunno how it possible.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ikaky 

To install Windows in UEFI mode, the drive has to be formatted GPT and the boot media has to support UEFI booting.

IF it boots in Legacy mode, you have to recreate the media to support UEFI boot.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Drive formatted GPT and boot media support UEFI booting.

I mean windows is bootable only from mbr with legacy support, but when i switch to uefi and format media with gpt its not bootable (Boot Device Not Found/Hard Disc - 3F0).

And when i try to install linux from gpt with uefi enabled everything ok. So problem only with windows.

I tried windows media creation tool and rufus

HP Recommended

@ikaky 

If windows was installed in Legacy mode, switching it to UEFI will prevent the PC from rebooting.

But, if you switch the PC to UEFI mode and boot from the right media, Windows should then install.  I don 't know why it is not working, especially when the Linux media boots OK.  Any BIOS setting should prevent the Linux media from working as well.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thats the point. I also tried custom iso build with win10 and usb was recognized but after installation i got same problem. Its looks like system just block only windows efi (maybe coz of removed hidden partitions or idk coz of cloud recovery tool fail too). I was ok with elementaryos but wanna try win11, maybe notebook will be not so hot as with win10. Anyway thanks for respond. I just wanted to make sure this is not a known issue or i am just missing something obvious.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.