Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion G6-2249wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi - I have inherited an HP Pavilion G6-2249wm Notebook PC, which someone reconfigured with a KS-1337 128GB SSD. The SSD works fine and Windows 10 runs fine.

The Problem:

From a power-off boot, the machine displays the following BIOS/UEFI screen:

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk.

Hard Disk (3F0)

F2 System Diagnostics

When I go into the System Diagnostics and running either of the Disk checks, the machine returns:

SMART Check: Not Installed

Short DST: Not Installed

However, if I press Ctrl+Alt+Del at any time during or after, Windows 10 loads up fine. So, the drive is functional and Windows runs perfectly when it's loaded. 

This behavior does not exhibit when I restart from within Windows, but will reproduce when I fully power off/shut down and power on at a later time.

I am not sure how to progress - I'm not sure whether the machine is choking before anything BCDEdit could help...?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jefmac

I have gone through your Post and I would like to help

I suggest you restore the BIOS back to defaults

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.

2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.

3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.

4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.

5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?

6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01443463 if the issue persists

Keep me posted how it goes

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@jefmac

I have gone through your Post and I would like to help

I suggest you restore the BIOS back to defaults

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.

2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.

3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.

4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.

5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?

6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

You can refer to this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01443463 if the issue persists

Keep me posted how it goes

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Excellent, thanks for the reply - I will give this a try and reply with the results in a couple of days (when I'm back in town).

Definitely appreciate your help!

HP Recommended

@jefmac

Keep us posted if you need further assistance

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on the Public Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey KrazyToad,

Thanks so much for your suggestions and help! Resetting the BIOS seemed to do the trick!

Perhaps coincidentally, as soon as I booted after resetting the BIOS setup to default states, I started getting this message:

HP Battery Alert

The system has detected the storage capacity of the battery stated below to be very low. For optimal performance, this battery may need to be replaced.

Primary (Internal) Battery (601)

ENTER - Continue Startup

For more information, please visit www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

Odd that this message just started showing up, but I'll look into the forums and see what I can see.

Thanks again! 

HP Recommended

@jefmac,

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, then reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under the device manager.

Here is how you do it.

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi The Fossette!

I should note that this particular machine is old enough that there are no Windows 10 drivers/software/firmware available for it on the HP site. When I change it to 64-bit Windows 8.1 (which I am *not* running), there are no firmware/BIOS options available.  I am currently sitting on F.26 as my version.

Removing and reinstalling the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery in the devmgr doesn't seem to have any effect.

Regarding the battery, at this stage I'm totally OK accepting that it has just reached the end of its usable lifespan.

Running an HP Battery Check from the HP site does show that the battery is "Very Weak". 
It appears to have only 25% of its max capacity left (1060mAh out of 4400 mAh)

When I follow the link on the HP site to purchase a replacement battery (the part number for the battery is 593553-001), I get this message:
"Part is not orderable in the HP Parts Store"
"Battery (Primary) - 6-cell lithium-Ion (Li-Ion), 2.2Ah, 47 Wh (MU06047) 

On the up-side, there are quite a number of compatible batteries with the same mAh - many in the $20-$35 range - available on the internet.

Appreciate all your help!
HP Recommended

@jefmac,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

I recommend you contact support and they will assist you in ordering the battery for the computer.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.