Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Boot device not found. Hard disk (3F0)

Unable to reinstall operation system, etc. 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@WStrunk 

This issue is often due to a failing drive. So, let's check that first, because if it is failing, it would need to be replaced and there is no point then in doing anything else until we confirm that.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, to check the drive you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu
3) Press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.
If the drive checks out OK, then report that and I can provide you options for reinstalling Windows on your PC.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance! The disk checked out OK. I am not able to reinstall Windows as the computer doesn't see a hard drive (yet, it does see X: drive, so I'm quite confused).

HP Recommended

@WStrunk 

Are you really trying to install Windows 7? That is a really BAD idea as MS no longer supports it with any kind of updates, including security updates -- so any Win7 PC without third party malware that is then connected to the Internet is going to be infected within minutes.

HP Recommended

O don't plan on keeping W7; however, it is the only OS that i have physical media for. I will update to W10 of i am able to sort out this problem. 

HP Recommended

I bought new HP notebook HP 15s..... without OS, And now i can not install Windows. I made USB Boot device to install Windows 10 and it's not found, Despite of a fact that i used the same disk to install ubuntu which i am using to write this comment. What should I do now to install Windows?

HP Recommended

@WStrunk 

I ran into this issue again and again with Windows 7 installations -- a valid drive was in the PC but the installer, when it opened the screen to select the drive, did not show anything.  

About all I can offer, since I've completely stopped using Win7, is this link:  https://appuals.com/fix-no-hard-drives-found-windows-7-installer/

HP Recommended

Wow, the first step listed in the link you sent has allowed me to see the disk. I can finally install Windows. I lost my data but that's okay, i have used this notebook in awhile (long story). I have another of these notebooks with the same issue (W10 on it) and hopefully i can use this experience to avoid losing my data.

Thank you so, SO much for your help! I can't begin to tell you how much i appreciate all of your time and effort (and care).

I'm going to finish loading W7, then hopefully update to W10 and I'll report back. I'll also try repairing my other Dv7 with W10 and let you know how that goes (probably not until tomorrow or so).

Thank you once again. 🙂

HP Recommended

An update:

I successfully installed W7, can see my disk (SSD) and it's contents, run the computer, but when I restart (or shut down, etc) I get the same error (no boot drive). Frustrating and weird. Obviously the drive is fine, so it's the computer, hardware or driver - hopefully driver.

I'm going to try a few things and will again report back. It's difficult because i don't have drivers on disc (will order it if possible) and without the drivers, my network adapter didn't work, etc. If i can I'll download them to my phone's SD card then try to install them in the computer, though that's probably not working and won't work either. It's a bit of a catch 22, as i don't have access to another computer to work from. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.